PDA

View Full Version : 29g Biocube HQI Build

bfisher88
06/12/2012, 04:15 PM
Alright so I got my Biocube setup this morning. Got the pumps and skimmer installed as well as the lights. Waiting to set up the RKL and everything til I get back from out of town this weekend so I can devote more time to it. Currently working on picking up live sand tomorrow and have some live rock as well that I need to get into the tank to start running before I leave.

I'll be gone for 3 days, should I leave the lights on during this time to get some algae growing?

I have a filter pad in one media area now, do I need to wait on the purigen, chaeto, etc until the cycle is complete and I start putting fish/coral in?

Any tips/help would be appreciated.

Chaotic Reefer4u
06/12/2012, 05:48 PM
[welcome]bfisher88, I would wait on the lighting until you return unless you have them on timers? Next thing i would advise you to wait on adding anything until the cycle is complete and over. Thats a really nice cube and i look forward to seeing more piks as it progresses. Hope this helps, and happy reefing. . .

bfisher88
06/12/2012, 05:53 PM
I have the timers, but won't have time to get them set up properly. I'll leave them off while I am gone and just let the filters go to work. Thanks for the tips! Just confirmed the DI water going in tomorrow, as well as 20-30b of live sand from a 2 year old established tank going in as well. Should get things started right.

bfisher88
06/18/2012, 09:24 PM
Alright so I was able to get some very nice live sand from a member here, as well as a couple live rock. Has been up and running for a week now and is looking nice. Should be filling it up with LR completely this week.

Currently running a maxi-jet 1200 for the pump, only filter floss and LR rubble in the media baskets, and an aqualife skimmer. Going to be checking water parameters this week sometime at the LFS as well to make sure everything looks well. If so I'll be adding two clowns to start, and will likely need a CUC soon.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/uploads/3981/IMG_20120618_165701.jpg

tbanks
06/19/2012, 09:54 AM
I choose not to run rubble to hard to reach places...great place for debrie to collect and hard to clean...

My set up is below...still a young tank, but going strong...

bfisher88
06/20/2012, 11:00 AM
Ended up getting a bunch of live fiji rock from a LFS this afternoon since the wife was most partial to this type of rock. Was more than I would have liked but it looks fantastic and has some nice growth and colors on it already. Also picked up some chaeto for the back media filter, and 5 hermits.
http://utahreefs.com/forum/uploads/3981/IMG_20120619_192903.jpg

bfisher88
07/14/2012, 09:03 AM
Little update. Almost done cycling in the tank. Have a full CUC and a small percula clown. In the middle of moving twice this month so everything else is on hold. Once into it's permanent place I'll be adding an MP10, toadstool leather, and a few other small corals to start.

Also looking at LED lighting as the MH lights heat up like no other. I'm looking into the JBJ LED unibody, panorama ecoxotic strips, or the AI nano if I can get a good deal on one.

Merrell056
07/14/2012, 09:54 AM
Rapid LED sells a retrofit kit for the 29 biocube. Super easy to put in and they provide the instructions.

bfisher88
07/14/2012, 10:11 AM
Doesn't that kit only go in the biocube with a hood? Didn't think they made one capable for the HQI model.

firebirdude
07/14/2012, 11:52 AM
Doesn't that kit only go in the biocube with a hood? Didn't think they made one capable for the HQI model.You are correct.

This is a perfect example of why I don't recommend the Biocube to anyone. I don't mean to degrade your tank, but last time I brought this up, everyone ragged on me and said the Biocube is the best thing since sliced bread. I've owned one for several years. I speak from day-in day-out experience. It seems like it would work out great. Then you notice all the stupid little pitfalls it has while during your routine. "Man this thing gets hot." "This back area is so small." "How am I going to add a skimmer?" The list goes on and on. You just got the tank and you're already looking to spend more money to change the lighting. It doesn't help that they're usually more money brand new than a traditional setup. Before I knew it, I was $1,500 into this tiny tank. And it still didn't perform all that well.

Sorry for the rant. Just saw someone going down the same path I did.

Since everything is already bought and setup, you can either think about a chiller...or... ditch the lid altogether and move to an open top with hanging lights.

Biocubehqi
07/14/2012, 02:13 PM
We have had the 29 biocube hqi for a few months and love it. There area few options to help with the mh getting hot...
1) add a cheapo little fan onto the top of your tank that blows across the glass top. Worked wonders for us.
2) ditch the glass top and add a mesh top, by making your own custom fit one.
3) add a chiller

We got a $5 fan from Walmart and it helps keep our tank at 77.9 - 79.0 pretty consistently.

We added the blue ecoxoctic panorama pro light that runs for an hour or so in the mornin before the mh turns on for 6 hours and then comes back on for a few more hours. Total light run time is 12 hours on and 12 off. We love out ecoxoctic light! We were told that if you want to just get rid of the mh all together you'd only really need 3 of the panorama strips to replace it.

Also there are a few different options out there for skimmers that will fit in the back of the tank.

Your tank looks wonderful! GL keep up the pictures! Always nice to see what other people with the hqi are doing with theirs

bfisher88
07/14/2012, 02:35 PM
I'm just going to remove the glass top and monitor things. It's really only hot here for 60 days out of the year so it's not worth the money to do something drastic. I already have the AquaticLife 115 or whatever skimmer in the back so no problems there. After doing more research on it the MH lights are fine for growing most anything, as I'll likely be doing softies and LPS.

You are correct though firebird, can definitely put too much into the tank if you wanted. This was a starter SW for me, and small so that I could move easily (moving 2 times this month with it and finally long term after that) so it had to be small. Other than the vortech, everything else I have (was modded for most everything in the back when I bought it for 300 already) will do just fine for now.

Pic is a few weeks ago when the algea was growing. CUC has it all cleaned up now.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa227/bfisher88/IMG_20120626_163238.jpg

bfisher88
08/04/2012, 04:14 PM
New additions and tank shot. Brain coral and GSP. More coming this week along with the MP10 finally.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa227/bfisher88/IMG_20120804_160700.jpg