PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Refurbished Cameras?

Graham670
06/12/2012, 07:51 PM
Ive been reading and shopping around for a camera, and since im completely new to photography ( other than 2 years of photography in high school, which i remember basically nothing about ) i dont want to spend a whole ton of money on a camera to start out with. Ive pretty well decided to go with the Nikon D3100. In stores and online about the best price i can find new is $549.00 but online @ NIKONUSA.com, they sell Refurbished cameras...saving me about $100....But, the warranty is only 3 months, compared to new having a 1 yr. body warranty and 5 yr. lens warranty. SO i guess my question is do you think the refurbished is worth saving a $100, or should i just go with the new? And does anyone have any info/feedback on the Nikon D3100? Sorry to ramble, and thanks for any input.

Misled
06/12/2012, 08:13 PM
Personally, I'd think you'd be fine. You can also buy refurbished or used from B&H dot com. I have no real info on the camera, but it's more about the glass and the skull behind the camera anyway. Pretty much any decent photog can take good shots with any DSLR made today.

Graham670
06/13/2012, 12:08 PM
Ok awesome. thanks for the feedback.

BBraker
06/17/2012, 10:07 AM
You might also check out Cameta Camera on EBay. I've bought two refurbs from them (D70 and D300) and had really good price/quality on both. The D300 only had around 300 shutter actuations. As I recall, their prices were quite a bit less than Nikon USA for the same product, but you do have to go through the hassle (and fun?) of trying to bid on the price.

Just to check though - you know there is a Nikon D3200 out now, right? ~$700 with a kit lens. 24 megapixels.

Bill

iErickS
06/21/2012, 01:06 PM
I personally am not afraid to buy anything refurbished straight from the company. I have bought a few refurbed lense from Canon and they have all been great.

I just bought a refurbed Ipad2 and 2 months in, works great, look great, its awesome.