PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Geo Kalk Reactor: Would you Double Check my Numbers?

naterealbig
06/13/2012, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to set up my Geo Kalkwasser Reactor on my 40 breeder coral QT tank. The circulation pump (mj600) along with a dosing pump ~ 1ml/min, will be controlled by my Apex.

To calculate the amount of Kalkwasser to dose my aquarium, I used the kalk calculator from Hamza's Reef website: http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/KalkContribution.php

After several weeks of testing my tank, it appears as though I am dropping about .22 dKH per day. Check one: Does this sound right for a bare bottom tank with about 60 sps frags, no fish, and a 4" T. derasa ?

According to the calculator (assuming I used it correctly :) ) it appears as though I need to dose about 340 ml per day. Does this sound OK? I also did a quick check against Randy's Kalk article, and it seems I'm well below the .25% of tank volume "rule" for keeping the increase in pH below .2 points. Especially considering I'm planning on dosing the 340ml in smaller increments.

Which brings me to my next question; Lights are off at 5pm, so I am planning on spreading the dosing out between 8pm and 8 am. Perhaps about 42 ml every hour. Does this sound OK?

Finally, GEO recommends running the stirring pump 4 times per day, at about 1 minute each round. Should I break the stirring up evenly throughout a 24 hour period, considering I will only actually be dosing at night? If not, what do you recommend?

Lastly, how long should I wait before running the dosing pump assuming that the kalkwasser has just been stirred?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

bertoni
06/13/2012, 01:45 AM
That consumption rate seems very low, but the calculations look reasonable enough, off-hand.

I would stir the Kalk twice or so each night, and not bother during the day. If you can wait an hour or so for the Kalk to settle a bit, that should be okay.

naterealbig
06/13/2012, 04:05 AM
Thank you for taking a look. My numbers might be a little off, but I feel safer with a lower estimate. :) I'll take your advice about the stirring.

bertoni
06/13/2012, 10:51 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!