PDA

View Full Version : Router Hacked? Problems With Redirects When Using Apex

myfast
06/13/2012, 12:10 PM
The Problem:
When I've got my Apex connected to my network and have it set up so I can access it on and off my local home network, I've got a problem that when I visit google.com, I get redirected to http://bd2c02ed.qqc.co/. If I use the default google search box, any searches end up at a 404 Not Found error page.

I'm bringing this up in the Apex forum because my router settings to make the Apex work require a fixed IP and DNS addresses. But, if I go to the standard router settings of getting IP and DNS addresses automatically from my ISP, the problem goes away.

Maybe my solution is that I can use other IP and DNS addresses? I don't know what I can use though. Any help here?

Other Troubleshooting Info:
1. This issue only happens when on my local network. If I go to cellular data, the issue goes away. On Safari in my iPad/iPhone, if I switch the Google search box to Yahoo or Bing, the issue goes away. Based on this info, I would think the error is somewhere in the router. Someone suggested to me that the DNS addresses I have are not friendly with Google somehow.

2. My Mac laptop, which is on my same home wireless network, does not have this problem for some reason. Just my iphone and ipad.

3. The problem started when my Netgear router died and I got a new Netgear router. I copied all the settings from one to the other, but maybe I missed something somewhere? (if so, I don't know what could cause this specific problem)

4. My troubleshooting began on the Apple support forums because I initially thought this was an ipad/iphone virus. Based on what I've learned so far, I don't think that's it. People have suggested to me that it's a hack within my router.

5. I bring this up in the Apex forum because, if I didn't have that, I'd just get automatically generated IPs and DNS. But since I seem to need fixed addresses, maybe there are other addresses that will work with my Apex? That's mostly what I'm wondering about.

I can do some very basic technical stuff within my home network, but I'm by no means a network guru. So, any help is appreciated! Thanks

RussM
06/13/2012, 01:06 PM
Your router is probably hacked.

In your router, make sure that the WAN IP is set to dynamic (DHCP) - I wouldn't be surprised if it's been set to static, and the DNS server settings have been modified. Release and renew the DHCP lease on the router.

Change the password in the router ASAP, and turn off remote management.

r6justin
06/13/2012, 01:54 PM
Your router is probably hacked.

In your router, make sure that the WAN IP is set to dynamic (DHCP) - I wouldn't be surprised if it's been set to static, and the DNS server settings have been modified. Release and renew the DHCP lease on the router.

Change the password in the router ASAP, and turn off remote management.

Your router is not hacked, do NOT set WAN IP to DHCP, Most ISP's need it set to DHCP, some need static or pppoe. Regardless if wrong it will stop internet and cause tons of problems.

Check your DNS settings on the router. also make sure local DHCP is turned on in router (this assigns IP address).

btw I'm a IT guy and know what im talking about. issue is with your netgear. If your router is 192.168.1.1 or192.168.0.1, check the Apex to be sure the gateway and DNS is set to that ip.

You should reset your router (hold reset button 20+ seconds) then try again. Most routers are already all setup and nothing is really needed, except wireless security.

also be sure your wifi SSID is the one you're using on the ipad. and you're not on a neighbors.

RussM
06/13/2012, 02:04 PM
Most ISP's need it set to DHCP, some need static or pppoe.

btw I'm a IT guy and know what im talking about. issue is with your netgear. If your router is 192.168.1.1 or192.168.0.1, check the Apex to be sure the gateway and DNS is set to that ip.

You should reset your router (hold reset button 20+ seconds) then try again. Most routers are already all setup and nothing is really needed, except wireless security.

You are right in that setting the WAN to DHCP is only the right answer for most ISPs - I did not account for the possibility of a PPoE connection.

This does sound like the DNS setting in the router have been modified. I've seen it happen way too many times.

myfast
06/13/2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The DNS settings are exactly the same as they were in my previous Netgear router and I didn't have any issues with that previous device. So, I guess I can say that at least no one has changed them without my permission. But if they're the same as they were before and only now do I have problems, that's where my confusion and problem begins.

Sent some PMs with my settings if you have any advice.

RussM
06/13/2012, 06:19 PM
In addition to the info I sent in reply to your PM... It's highly unlikely that your network configuration for support of external access to the Apex has anything to do with this issue.