PDA

View Full Version : Parasites?

MBizzo
06/13/2012, 02:52 PM
Can you still get parasites like ich even if none of your fish brought them? I heard that frozen food such as mysis can give you parasites, but I'm not sure if its true. If it is how can you prevent the parasites from getting in your tank, I want to get a yellow tank but don't want any parasite issues. Thanks

MBizzo
06/13/2012, 02:53 PM
Tang*

sponger0
06/13/2012, 03:02 PM
Use high quality food and quarantine quarantine quarantine

MrTuskfish
06/13/2012, 03:25 PM
^^^^^^A QT is always the way to avoid parasites in a DT^^^^
Fish parasites from a source other than a fish are extremely rare. If someone blames frozen mysis, they missed something, somewhere. Where did your hear that gem?

thegrun
06/13/2012, 03:28 PM
No, the freezing process kills parasites. Qt all fish and corals.

snorvich
06/13/2012, 05:39 PM
No, the freezing process kills parasites. Qt all fish and corals.

Exactly.

FlyingRev
06/13/2012, 05:48 PM
now if you could only freeze the fish before putting them in your DT then thaw them out without any negative effect...would be a great way to treat ICH.

:rollface:

MrTuskfish
06/14/2012, 06:22 AM
now if you could only freeze the fish before putting them in your DT then thaw them out without any negative effect...would be a great way to treat ICH.

:rollface:

I guarantee someone will try it; anything to avoid using a QT. Then a post will appear: "I heard that freezing.......".

MBizzo
06/14/2012, 01:07 PM
A guy at my local fish store told me there's other ways that ich and others disease can be introduced through food ect. Told me I should get the garlic drops to add to frozen food. They were $20 for a little thing so I didn't get it

Cloudburst2000
06/14/2012, 01:53 PM
The easiest non-fish way to introduce ich to your system is through live rock, coral frags, macroalgae, etc. ANYTHING from a system with ich (even if the symptoms are not visible on the fish) can transmit ich to your tank. The ich cysts can be on any surface in an infested system (even shells of snails and crabs). That's why your should quarantine EVERYTHING you get from a running aquarium that houses fish. You can also introduce other pests besides the dreaded ich. I've never had ich but I once introduced flatworms to my tank via macroalgae. Never even considered quarantining algae before, but I do now.

MrTuskfish
06/14/2012, 02:37 PM
A guy at my local fish store told me there's other ways that ich and others disease can be introduced through food ect. Told me I should get the garlic drops to add to frozen food. They were $20 for a little thing so I didn't get it

Garlic has been shown to help appetite, which helps the fish's immune system. Freshly pressed raw garlic will do the same , I believe. However; it does nothing to prevent or cure ich.

Paul B
06/14/2012, 02:38 PM
I believe. However; it does nothing to prevent or cure ich
I believe the same thing

den75
06/14/2012, 03:04 PM
The easiest non-fish way to introduce ich to your system is through live rock, coral frags, macroalgae, etc. ANYTHING from a system with ich (even if the symptoms are not visible on the fish) can transmit ich to your tank. The ich cysts can be on any surface in an infested system (even shells of snails and crabs). That's why your should quarantine EVERYTHING you get from a running aquarium that houses fish. You can also introduce other pests besides the dreaded ich. I've never had ich but I once introduced flatworms to my tank via macroalgae. Never even considered quarantining algae before, but I do now.

What steps do you take to quarantine your algae?