PDA

View Full Version : What cuc would we need ??

tatorswife
06/15/2012, 08:55 AM
It won't be to much longer and we will be thinking about ordering our cuc. We have a 150 gallon tank and would like to have snails, hermits, porcelain crab and shrimp. What we dont know is how many of each and which ones are safe together. We are afraid that the crabs will eat the snails and shrimp and arent sure what kinds of each we need. Any info of how many and what kinds are friendly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

yh1185
06/15/2012, 09:02 AM
hermits will eat snails for shells, or even just for the heck of it no matter what, so just expect that. Otherwise with that large of a tank, you could probably put any CUC you wanted. I'd talk to John at reefcleaners.org and see what he suggests. Just be aware that he sends crazy amounts of extra's so order less then he suggests/you need. I'd start with a basic quick crew, and then add other inverts/CUC that you like later on.

thegrun
06/15/2012, 09:36 AM
I would start with 50-80 assorted small sized snails (I try to stay clear of turbo snails due to their size) and perhaps 10 or 15 hermit crabs. I'm not a big fan of any other type of crab, just too much risk involved with them catching and eating livestock or corals. I'm fine with hermits provided you give them extra shells to move into. You are likely to have an occassional snail loss to hermits, but they do a good job at scavaging so I use them. 10 or 15 Nassarius snails for the sand bed and a mix of Astraea, Cerith, Nerite and Trochus snails would be great. Eventually you will likely need a larger CUC, but start small and add to it as your system demands rise.

Here is a good web site describing snails and their characteristics:
http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=16+2158

tatorswife
06/15/2012, 09:48 AM
ok thanks ya'll...will chk out the website and check out reefcleaners. Thanks again

Sk8r
06/15/2012, 10:30 AM
I recommend scarlet hermits. I've never lost a snail to one, and they're fun. Ceriths are good starter snails. A combo of 2 nassarius and 1 conch per 50 gallons, ONCE YOUR TANK IS MATURE, will be good.

Don't depend on the cuc to really clean your tank (except the nassarius and conchs, who do the subsand stuff) --- water chemistry cleanup does that.

tatorswife
06/15/2012, 10:48 AM
So by mature do u mean 6 months or after the cycle has complete?? Another question..Do we acclimate the snails and crabs?? Seems like i seen somewhere that u just put them in the tank if salinity and temp was good but want to make sure. Thanks