PDA

View Full Version : Do yellow assessors look different?

Meanmike
06/15/2012, 10:47 AM
One looks like all the pics I have seen of them the other is a duller yellow and does not have any red on its fins. I was wondering if it could be a juvenile or maybe male and female?

A.VOID
06/15/2012, 10:52 AM
I've heard the ones that ORA is breeding look duller yellow. :(
Captive vs. Wild may be less yellow.

I also wonder if captive bred will exhibit the same swimming behaviors (upside down, sideways, etc) as the wild caught.

Meanmike
06/15/2012, 11:05 AM
They both swim that way and only come out at feeding time. The duller one has been in there longer and did come out in the open more before I added the second one but now they hang out on the other side where it's hard to see them.

rhdoug
06/15/2012, 03:20 PM
I got an ORA one a while back and it was dull yellow at first, but colored up like the pics after about a year.

Meanmike
06/15/2012, 04:01 PM
I got an ORA one a while back and it was dull yellow at first, but colored up like the pics after about a year.

Did it have any color on its fins?

rhdoug
06/15/2012, 04:19 PM
yes it looked just like the pics

sponger0
06/15/2012, 04:23 PM
How long ago did you get them? Im wondering if the adapting to new enviroment has anything to do with it. Like when you see fish in a fish store that arent happy and when you bring them home after a month or two their colors pop out more.

But on a side note, I want a blue assessor but notice in pics they are never the same shade of blue.

Meanmike
06/15/2012, 04:32 PM
I got the dull one about a week ago and the pretty none two days ago. I would agree with them getting more color over time but there's absolutely no striping around the fins.

I thought about the blue one as well but decided I wanted brighter colored fish well besides the cardinals

sponger0
06/15/2012, 04:33 PM
Well for example.....my royal gramma's mark on the eye wasnt visible in the QT for a month but a few days after being in the DT, it darkened up and is now visible

Meanmike
06/15/2012, 04:40 PM
I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thanks