PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar dosing but not to lower water parameters

cappymrgn
06/16/2012, 07:52 AM
I was reading through some forums and got side-tracked as usual and ended up reading about vinegar dosing.

I have a biocube 29 and do not skim. Its a FOWLR right now but am waiting on some lights to introduce corals, sponges and feather dusters.

My question is:

Can dosing vinegar (under the recommended amounts to lower phosphates & nitrates) be used as a way to produce food (bacteria) for sponges, feather dusters etc? I am aware that dosing phyto would be helpful but I have read where the bacteria may be more of a "staple" food source

I run chempure elite and it seems to work well keeping my params in check and dont really plan on skimming any time soon.

I did search and read a lot but didnt really see anyone dosing for this purpose. Am I way off in my understanding?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2012, 12:19 PM
Many of us view this as a benefit of organic carbon dosing. Of course, the less you dose the less beneficial bacteria you'll generate, but I think it is a fine plan. :)

cappymrgn
06/16/2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks. The reason I planned on not pushing the amount is because I dont plan on skimming. Certainly if I ever upgrade tanks or get a skimmer I can increase the dose.

Thanks again for responding!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2012, 04:09 PM
You're welcome.

FWIW, I don't think people really know how much of a role skimmers play in organic carbon dosing, despite constant comments that it is "necessary". I think it is a fine experiment. :)
Good luck.