PDA

View Full Version : Iron Overdose

Tidy Waves
06/17/2012, 12:30 AM
A friend of mine has a 110 gallon mixed reef with roughly 125 lbs. of LR and a sump with a 20 gallon refugium. His tank parameters have been in great shape for years.

Every two weeks he performs a 15 gallon water change and pulls out a large chunk of Chaeto. He doses WM CalxMax ( Calcium supplement ) three times a week and Ferrion ( Iron Supplement ) once a week.

He went on vacation for two weeks, and left one of his neighbors in charge of the tank. When he returned, the substrate was completely brown ( sand normally stays clean between water changes ) and his Chaeto was completely gone. Fish and corals appear to be fine.

After some investigation, he realized the neighbor had dosed the Ferrion every day for two weeks at the CalxMax dosage ( roughly 2.5 times the normal dose ). He does not have a test kit for Iron, but I am assuming this is what has caused the problems. Am I right?

He immediately performed a 30 gallon water change. Is there anything else he can do to remove the excess Iron?

bertoni
06/17/2012, 12:39 AM
The iron will disappear rapidly on its own. I wouldn't worry, at this point. Water changes are the only practical way to remove iron. I'd do more only if some animal looked to be having trouble.

Tidy Waves
06/17/2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks bertoni!

bertoni
06/17/2012, 01:09 AM
You're welcome!