PDA

View Full Version : Kalk Reactor Question

peiloy3196
06/18/2012, 01:26 PM
I currently have a system volume of 120Gal and use a Calcium Reactor. This is a SPS reef. Recently I added a Kalk reactor to help battle low Ph issues as the calcium reactor plus closed home drive the ph down. I use the kalk for top off at timed intervals based on my daily evaporation rate of about 1.5 Gallons. This helps with my low pH.

So here's the problem. Depending on if I am home or not and therefore as a result my ac is on or not, my evaporation rate changes. When the AC is off my evaporation rate slows drastically as I am in a humid climate. As a result I end up topping off more than is needed. I am thinking of using a float switch to automate the Kalk top off, which is the system I used for my ATO before I added my Kalk Reactor. I am concerned though that my inconsistent evaporation rate would cause alkalinity swings because of the varied top off through the kalk reactor.

Is this something that I should be worried about, or would it be a non issue because of the calcium reactor doing the majority of the supplementation?

bnumair
06/18/2012, 01:49 PM
i am more concerned with higher calcium levels.

peiloy3196
06/18/2012, 04:06 PM
Right now my calcium holds at 460. If I switch the reactor to an ATO set up controlled by a float switch my calcium will go up because of my inconsistent evaporation rate? What do you think I should do then?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/18/2012, 04:17 PM
Calcium does not move noticeably from over or underdosing or limewater (or any balanced method, like two parts or CaCO3/Co2 reactors).

Alkalinity is far more sensitive to over and under dosing, and you should focus on it to set a dose. Likewise, if you are concerned about highly variable dosing, it is the effect on alkalinity that you should be monitoring and be worried about.

FWIW, the swing may not be as large as you think due to the feedback loops with limewater that increase demand as you increase the dose.

So I'd just set it up and see if it is an issue. :)

peiloy3196
06/18/2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks Randy. I'll give it a go and see what happens!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2012, 04:26 AM
:thumbsup:

Good luck. :)