PDA

View Full Version : Lost a fish in quarantine

Eman79
06/18/2012, 02:17 PM
:(

Lost a 6 line wrasse in my quarantine tank last week.

I'm not sure as to the cause of death. The fish was in the QT for 5 days, and had been taking food.

My question is since I don't know what caused the fish to die, how should I clean/sanitize the QT prior to using it again? If it was disease/parasite related vs. environmental, I don't want to kill the next fish either. Is a simple wipe down and allowing everything to dry for a few weeks sufficient?

I had been keeping the filter media in my DT sump to grow bio for a few weeks prior to his arrival. Can this filter be reused, or should I toss it?

Thanks.

Tin_Whistler
06/18/2012, 02:21 PM
Have you tested the water at all?

The first thing I think of when fish dies in QT without visible parasites is ammonia poisoning. Were you doing water changes? how much were you feeding/was it eating?

It also could possibly be the fish was collected with cyanide, and died because of that.

Sk8r
06/18/2012, 03:14 PM
Well, at least you're not wondering this about your DT.
SOrry to hear.
Cyanide is possible.
But if it was ich, wipe the tank down with Clorox, soak all equipment, then rinse out and run pump with Prime/water. Refill for new fish. Test daily for ammonia, change filter floss daily, and be SURE aeration is sufficient: marine fish take more oxygen. If you have a small qt, run an airstone in addition to your regular pump, but put it behind a screen of lighting grid eggcrate. Don't let the fish get into the bubbles.
Watch your temperature.
And don't run lights on a qt except when doing a (magnifying glass) daily or twice daily exam.

Eman79
07/02/2012, 06:32 PM
Thank you.

I will add some extra aeration to the QT. I was considering that as a possibility, a few days before he died he seemed stressed and adding a Baggie of ice cubes seemed to have an immediate effect. (the tank was still well within limits, but warmer than I like and the only parameter that seemed remotely out of spec). Quite possible that the O2 sat was a bit low, as the temp is a bit more difficult to control in the 10g tank in the summer.

medic155
07/02/2012, 08:15 PM
Well, at least you're not wondering this about your DT.
SOrry to hear.
Cyanide is possible.
But if it was ich, wipe the tank down with Clorox, soak all equipment, then rinse out and run pump with Prime/water. Refill for new fish. Test daily for ammonia, change filter floss daily, and be SURE aeration is sufficient: marine fish take more oxygen. If you have a small qt, run an airstone in addition to your regular pump, but put it behind a screen of lighting grid eggcrate. Don't let the fish get into the bubbles.
Watch your temperature.
And don't run lights on a qt except when doing a (magnifying glass) daily or twice daily exam.

Just out of curiosity, why do you not want the fish in the bubbles, other then it potentially throwing them out of the tank?