PDA

View Full Version : My holes are too big

Ryan391
06/18/2012, 05:47 PM
I purchased a used 75g tank today. My inexperience led to believe I got a good deal. It probably was/is.

Anyway my problem is that the tank is drilled. It is obviously done by the previous owner. The are about 5" from the top centered on each side to the divider.

I went the local fish store and they said the holes are way too big. 3" I think. I bought two 2" bulk heads. I was a planning on using a sump. How should I do this?

As I see it my options are
-use the 2" for drain with a valve to slow the drain, but I am not sure of my options for return.
-use the bulk heads with caps to completely seal the openings and use another filter method.
-Trunk each opening down to the appropriate diameter outside the tank.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

BigBarnacles
06/18/2012, 06:00 PM
It's not a problem. Buy the 3 inch bulkheads and order the pieces that attach to the 3" bulkheads that decrease the size to 2" or whatever you want. Check out Savco.com. If you're unsure what you need just call them first. They're very helpful.

rwb500
06/18/2012, 06:06 PM
be aware that a 2" bulkhead does not use a 2" hole. it uses a hole that is significantly larger. probably 2.5-3". the inches in the bulkhead name refer to the plumbing it works with. you need to check the hole diameter separately.

BigBarnacles
06/18/2012, 07:17 PM
be aware that a 2" bulkhead does not use a 2" hole. it uses a hole that is significantly larger. probably 2.5-3". the inches in the bulkhead name refer to the plumbing it works with. you need to check the hole diameter separately.

Good call! Wasn't even thinking about that. :facepalm:

Ryan391
06/18/2012, 07:27 PM
The holes measure 3" in diameter. I purchased 2" bulkheads from LFS.

But I will check that web site out.

Thank you.