PDA

View Full Version : Tank Transfer QT Questions

Laugh_At_Rice
06/18/2012, 09:15 PM
Starting a quarantine regimen on newer large reef tank. The primary method will be a minimum of tank transfer followed by observation. Couple of questions.

1. I understand transfer every 3 days 4,7,10,13. However, is there any harm if due to scheduling reasons you are say one day late for example 4,8,11,14.

2. I did skip QT on various snails that were added to a tank that was running fallow. Not fallow because it was infected but because it was new. Anyway it will be 10+ weeks since the tank was started before any fish are introduced but less since the snails were added. The snails were added from a system with fish. So the only the way ich could have been introduced is in the cyst form by hitchhiking. So I assume that I probably should wait 72 days post snail addition to be safe and QT all future inverts for the same timeframe?

Thanks!
3. Also while I'm happy to QT anything and everything are there any particular species that should not be QT I recall reading some q&a on wetwebmedia in regards to jawfish and QT.

snorvich
06/18/2012, 09:21 PM
Starting a quarantine regimen on newer large reef tank. The primary method will be a minimum of tank transfer followed by observation. Couple of questions.

1. I understand transfer every 3 days 4,7,10,13. However, is there any harm if due to scheduling reasons you are say one day late for example 4,8,11,14.

Since TT is based on the ich life cycle, I strongly recommend transfer on the morning of day 4,7,10,13

2. I did skip QT on various snails that were added to a tank that was running fallow. Not fallow because it was infected but because it was new. Anyway it will be 10+ weeks since the tank was started before any fish are introduced but less since the snails were added. The snails were added from a system with fish. So the only the way ich could have been introduced is in the cyst form by hitchhiking. So I assume that I probably should wait 72 days post snail addition to be safe and QT all future inverts for the same timeframe?

Inverts cannot host cryptocaryon so there is no issue with hitchhikers. However water transfer can contaminate.

Thanks!
3. Also while I'm happy to QT anything and everything are there any particular species that should not be QT I recall reading some q&a on wetwebmedia in regards to jawfish and QT.

I do not comment on wetwebmedia advice as I am sure they do not comment on mine. TT has no species restrictions

Laugh_At_Rice
06/18/2012, 09:44 PM
The risk of water transfer although I'm sure low how do you mitigate it. Allow the specimen to drip most of the residual water back into the transport bag for a few moments and then introduce? Possibly a series of rinses in small containers full of tank water that will be disposed of?

Is there anything you would be wary of that may have a cyst encrusted on it for example coral with live rock rubble. Do cryptocaryon cysts form an attachment to there resting place or could you rinse them off with ease?

snorvich
06/19/2012, 04:25 AM
I prefer tupperware or acclimation box transfer from one tank to another as opposed to nets. Acclimation boxes have drainage slits, tupperware containers can have drainage holes created. Fish can easily survive the 10 seconds of air time.

Wistler
06/19/2012, 08:26 AM
Steve,

After all the readings I have followed regarding Ich, I am confused by your last post. I thought that if you pull snails and hermits from a vendor's holding tank that has ich infected fish that there IS a possibility that gravity would permit a tomite or cyst to rest on the shell of the invert.

Could this not then be brought home and dropped into your tank, and introduce a parasite into your ich free tank?

I have made it a point to QT snails and inverts in bulk in a holding tank for a few weeks before adding them to any of my systems. The same with coral frags, because I didnt think the CoralRX dip would totally rinse off any tomites or parasites.

Larry

snorvich
06/19/2012, 09:38 AM
Steve,

After all the readings I have followed regarding Ich, I am confused by your last post. I thought that if you pull snails and hermits from a vendor's holding tank that has ich infected fish that there IS a possibility that gravity would permit a tomite or cyst to rest on the shell of the invert.

IF you get an invert from a tank with ich AND the tomite phase is active, it is theoretically possible but highly unlikely to transfer a tomite. But the tomite activity time length is short and chain of custody issues make this extremely unlikely. Now if water is transferred, the odds increase considerably

Could this not then be brought home and dropped into your tank, and introduce a parasite into your ich free tank?

I have made it a point to QT snails and inverts in bulk in a holding tank for a few weeks before adding them to any of my systems. The same with coral frags, because I didnt think the CoralRX dip would totally rinse off any tomites or parasites.

May be overkill but it cannot hurt

Larry

Laugh_At_Rice
06/20/2012, 08:01 PM
Thank you for help.

One more question that comes to mind is say I do miss one tank transfer by one day. Not me being lazy my schedule is not flexible unfortunately and I constantly run the chance of missing a transfer by up to 24hrs. In order to get back on track do I need to just add one additional or start the whole process over? Having read about the life cycle I am having a hard time determining this.

Laugh_At_Rice
06/20/2012, 08:02 PM
double

snorvich
06/20/2012, 08:54 PM
Thank you for help.

One more question that comes to mind is say I do miss one tank transfer by one day. Not me being lazy my schedule is not flexible unfortunately and I constantly run the chance of missing a transfer by up to 24hrs. In order to get back on track do I need to just add one additional or start the whole process over? Having read about the life cycle I am having a hard time determining this.

Add an additional transfer cycle