PDA

View Full Version : Tunza DOC skimmer performance

lonestar2012
06/19/2012, 02:11 AM
Hi all,

I was referred to this forum from Reefing the Australian Way Forum (http://www.masa.asn.au).

I put up a post on the above forum seeking advice on my Skimmer. I have a Tunza Doc Skimmer 9205 (in- sump) that never really pulls out much skimmate. I usually get 500ml of wet skimmate after a water change (in the first week) then nothing. After looking around I'm starting to think this type of skimmer is crap! Any one else using this type of skimmer? Is there any way to estimate the amount of skimmate you should be getting?

Forum link: http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=240781

I was told a bloke called Roger on this forum might be able to give me some more suggestions on how to make it more efficient.

Feedback would be appreciated

PS Like the forum so far

Craig Borowski
06/19/2012, 09:19 AM
Hi Lonestar, welcome to Reef Central! I read over your thread on Masa.asn.au and have a couple of things to add. This style of plankton-safe skimmer can be more finicky than other styles, but it also has some great advantages.

The water height in the sump is a very important factor for it to function consistently. Please make sure the water level is between 2 and 2.5CM up the clear side of the skimming chamber.

You mentioned you do have an Auto Top-off device. Please make sure it is topping off frequently and keeping the water level in the correct range. If the water level fluctuates too much, then the skimmer will not perform at its best.

Try opening up the air adjustment to create wetter foam. Make only small 1/4 turn adjustments and wait at least a day between them.

Another factor to consider is the water movement in the area surrounding the skimmer. Since this style skimmer does not actively draw water in, but rather relies on osmosis, it works best when it is sitting in relatively calm water. So please make sure that wherever it is in your sump that the water around it is moving gently and not at high speed (such as right near a drain).

I tend to agree with Tone's first comment in your thread. You do have a lightly stocked tank and are using a lot of chemical filtration media. It's possible you don't have much in there to skim. In a situation like this cleaning the skimmer neck and cup becomes more important. Without enough DOCs to get pushed up and into the cup itself, the bulk of the material will collect on the inside of the neck.

Let us know how it goes!

lonestar2012
06/19/2012, 04:51 PM
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply

Sounds like I need to get some more stock!

I will play with the depth and air settings and see what happens:twitch: