PDA

View Full Version : marine velvet dormancy time?

Moort82
06/19/2012, 08:47 AM
Hi just a uick question really. What is the effective dormancy period of the velvet parasite. I've been told that a fallow period of 4 weeks should suffice but i've always believed that to be sure you need to wait much longer with 8-10 weeks being better.
Does anyone know how long they can last without a fish host?

TIA

MrTuskfish
06/19/2012, 09:18 AM
I've always used 6 weeks as a sure minimum.

snorvich
06/19/2012, 09:31 AM
I've always used 6 weeks as a sure minimum.

I agree. I have seen fish not exhibit symptoms for about 3-4 weeks.

Moort82
06/19/2012, 11:18 AM
Is that 6 week minimum assuming that the new introductions are healthy, ie when the parasite population has deid off enough to not be such a worry, or is it like whitespot where after 8-10 weeks 95% of the parasites are likely to have died.
So basically is there still a chance that it could be on the rock after 8 weeks, even if its unlikely.

MrTuskfish
06/19/2012, 12:02 PM
Is that 6 week minimum assuming that the new introductions are healthy, ie when the parasite population has deid off enough to not be such a worry, or is it like whitespot where after 8-10 weeks 95% of the parasites are likely to have died.
So basically is there still a chance that it could be on the rock after 8 weeks, even if its unlikely.

I don't know if anyone really can answer this, I certainly can't. The one thing I DO know, is that nothing is ever 100% with parasites. But; of course, the longer you wait them out, the better.. Like I posted somewhere; There is no dog flea treatment that comes close to 100%; take it from there.