PDA

View Full Version : New tank - bacterial additive?

knight2255
06/19/2012, 02:06 PM
I'm using dry/dead sand and diy rock...would I get the bacteria I need to cycle my tank if I just dropped a whole shrimp into the tank or do I need to add some kind of bottled bacterial additive instead?

ItzJustinN
06/19/2012, 02:12 PM
shrimp gives u ammonia, not bacteria. you need to get a piece of live rock or rubble, some chaeto would probably work too, or as u stated a bacteria additive.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2012, 02:18 PM
The shrimp probably gives both, but I agree you'll get a lot faster start if you get a rock or sand from an established tank, or you can try a commercial bacterial additive, but whether that is useful long term isn't especially clear. Folks seem to like Dr Tim's product for this purpose.

warlord239
06/19/2012, 02:18 PM
I would deffinatly go for a bacteria additive

ItzJustinN
06/19/2012, 02:31 PM
i would just do it safe. goto lfs and get 1lb of "live" rubble for $2.99. this will give you the bacteria you need, just need some patience after that.

on the spot
06/19/2012, 03:13 PM
I'm using dry/dead sand and diy rock...would I get the bacteria I need to cycle my tank if I just dropped a whole shrimp into the tank or do I need to add some kind of bottled bacterial additive instead?

If you add an ammonia source like the shrimp or just plain ammonia you will be fine. You do not need to add any bacteria, if you do not wish to do so.

On a side note Sk8r should make a sticky for this topic, possibly with a Boomer and HighlandReefer assist.

That would be great. http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx164/SNJ2578/goodjob.gif