PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet

Mike de Leon
06/19/2012, 06:28 PM
Hello fellow reefers!

I am downgrading and purchased a custom tank 36 x 24 x 20. Looks like It will be close to 600 lbs.
There's a typical cabinet that has the same footprint that I can pick up from home depot. I would like to use it as my stand. Seems to have enough support all around.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

rjcranor
06/19/2012, 07:05 PM
It's hard to say without seeing it, most stands for tanks that size at like a petco are usually light duty. I have a 36"×18 50 gallon breeder tank. I built mine out of 2×4s and just put a wains cotting skin on it.

parrthed
06/19/2012, 07:09 PM
I have seen a few kitchen and bathroom cabinets used before, they just beefed up the insides with a 2x4 frame to prevent racking and such.

scarface70706
06/19/2012, 08:23 PM
it's hard to say when we cant see it. can you post a pic. its like the old saying "use the right tool for the right job" well this kinda applies to it. even though ive heard people using furniture from a store on their tanks and gotten away with it but imo and experience i found that regular furniture isnt really meant for our aquariums weight and stress. so in all honesty i think you should have a stand thats built for a tank.

Mike de Leon
06/19/2012, 09:18 PM
I will try and post a pic. Need to go to the hardware store. Seems like adding more support could be a good idea...
I find these cabinets very reasonably priced. Much less if I were to build one.