PDA

View Full Version : Another CARX tuning question

FF337
06/20/2012, 02:55 PM
I tested my parameters today

CA 300
MAG 1250
KH 8.6

I dose Kalk via ATO. I recently slowed my drip rate from someones suggestion. My levels dropped. My levels are normally a little higher. CA 340, Mag 1350, KH 10

I fear my Kalk is the only thing keeping my parameters in check.
Per Randy suggestion eflluent KH should be 20-40 depending on demand. Mine is normally 30-32.

My effluent KH is 16.3 with a CARX PH of 6.4-6.5 (calibrated), Milwaukee ph controller and flow of 40ml per minute using ARM.

If I speed up the flow, my CARX KH should go down correct? Most suggestions are

If I slow it down, it does not drip uniformly, quickly becoming clogged. It is a plastic white needle valve. I am investing in a gate valve this week.

What is the recommendation? Lower PH in reactor to dose hotter? Or slow the flow to increase contact time with media?

Also, What could be added to the reactor to help keep Mag up? I read there was a product used for this.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/20/2012, 02:59 PM
I'd keep everything as is since it is meeting demand for now, and boost the calcium with calcium chloride to 4420 ppm (neither the reactor nor the limewater can attain the needed calcium boost without pushing alk too high.

Then see what continues to happen to alkalinity over time, which is the thing to monitor to judge the reactor settings. :)

FF337
06/20/2012, 03:05 PM
What about adding something to increase Mag?

There was another type of media added to ARM to dose Magnesium.

I want to nip this in the bud before my 80-100 sps frags become full blown colonies. My 180 build in the works and my 120 is a WAY over stocked frag/display currently.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/20/2012, 04:51 PM
Yes, you can put some dolomite in the reactor along with mostly aragonite.

Or you can make a DIY magnesium supplement. :)

MarkGP
06/20/2012, 06:14 PM
Dolomite works well.