PDA

View Full Version : Network setup... Almost done?

rollermonkey
06/20/2012, 09:35 PM
Last night someone was helping me set up my Apex Lite network settings.

We were pretty close to done when The wife decided it was time to go to bed.

I got into the unit from my Mac and my iPad.

I installed DynDNS updater.

I set up the DynDNS account.

I still need to get the DynDNS address into the Apex...

And I still need to get the IOGear wifi adapter inserted into the scenario so I can actually put the whole shebang near the tank.

(Currently the temperature inside the storage bench in my living room is a balmy 84.5*F)

A little help?

RussM
06/20/2012, 09:40 PM
You don't put dyndns info into the Apex. You configure the DynDNS updater software with the username and password you used on the Dyn.com web site and the hostname you created.

What model is the IOGear? GWU627?

rollermonkey
06/20/2012, 09:42 PM
Huh?

I did that last night, but he wasn't able to see my system from outside my network.

(He was walking me through it via chat)

Cpsmith516
06/20/2012, 09:45 PM
You will need to forward or open a port or ports and point it to the address of the Apex on your internal network. You'll want to set the wifi adapter to a specific address rather than letting it be dynamic (ie: 192.168.1.200) depending on what your network is using for dynamic addresses - you want to be in the same range.

You will also want your router handling the dyndns updates.

What model is your wifi router?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RussM
06/20/2012, 09:46 PM
You didn't mention port forwarding in your router. Have you done that?

kurt_n
06/20/2012, 10:54 PM
And I still need to get the IOGear wifi adapter inserted into the scenario so I can actually put the whole shebang near the tank.

(Currently the temperature inside the storage bench in my living room is a balmy 84.5*F)

A little help?

Along with what the others have said, I'd strongly suggest getting a long ethernet cable that you can run from your router to wherever you're going to set the Apex up at near your tank. Hook everything up and get it working using that wired connection. Get it working so you can see everything from within your network and outside your network. Only after everything is working right, then worry about getting the wifi adapter set up. It will really make troubleshooting easier as you work through things.

rollermonkey
06/21/2012, 12:20 AM
Gave Russ a call, and we got the wired network settings finished.

After we hung up, 5 minutes of work got the wifi squared away. Everything in my house is wifi, so I knew that would be the easiest part.

Tomorrow, I don't have to work so I'll get started with the actual programming of the outlets.

rollermonkey
06/22/2012, 12:16 AM
Well outlet programming sure is easy with the wizards.

I have five "plugsaver" extension cords that I bought on Amazon. Essentially, each one is an 8-inch extension cord, with a second outlet on the back of the plug into the Energy Bar. With these, I had enough outlets for everything, including the wifi adapter and the LED fan. Plus, all the AC adapters aren't all squeezed into the Bar.

But good grief, that's a lot of wires. I don't even have any extra probes besides the temperature probe.

Tethered_Limbs
06/22/2012, 10:13 AM
zip ties are your best friend