PDA

View Full Version : live rock ?

tatorswife
06/21/2012, 02:51 PM
ok so we received our live rock today(next day air) from LA and when my dh opened it it stunk badly and had gnats. Is this normal?? He immediately puts it in the tank so we can start our cycle but when he did this alot of stuff came off of the rock into the tank. Im assuming this was die off stuff. Looks like black algea or seaweed looking stuff all over the bottom of the tank from the rocks. Is this normal and should we leave it alone or take it out?? Thanks

Touring
06/21/2012, 03:01 PM
i would have rinsed it out at least.... i made the same mistake with mine but the tank is going to clean it up. did it smell like amonia?

sponger0
06/21/2012, 03:05 PM
Yes the smell is die off.

As for whats attached or seaweed, pics would help determine what it is

sporto0
06/21/2012, 05:09 PM
It will be fine, the hot weather probably caused a little more die off than normal, better for your cycle, more ammonia, enjoy.

tatorswife
06/21/2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone..stunk like ammonia and dead fish lol now we are about to add the raw shrimp to start cycle off good.

Guygettnby
06/21/2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone..stunk like ammonia and dead fish lol now we are about to add the raw shrimp to start cycle off good.

No need to add the shrimp. Everything you need is already in your tank from the live rock.

johngayle1
06/21/2012, 09:37 PM
Yea dont add shrimp sound like you got enough ammonia to start cycle. Also I limit my light at first to 6 to 8 hours with so much nutrients to avoid a lot of algae developing.