PDA

View Full Version : Converting Tidepool II to sump/refugium

greg683x
06/22/2012, 06:35 PM
Ok, so Im here just for general opinions on the modifications I made to the sump for my 72 gallon aquarium.

For those not familiar with the Marineland Tidepool II it is a sump thats rated for up to 90 gallons. It has a biowheel that the drainwater trickles onto, then spills into one giant compartment that can house your return pump and other equipment. The footprint for this sump is 14" X 24".

So its a really basic design and I wanted to mod it to include a chamber for a refugium. So what I did was remove the biowheel and use that chamber for my return pump and heater. I then have water for through a bubbletrap, which will then flow into the refuge, water will flow through the refuge and then into the third chamber which will actually be the first stage of this system. Itll include the drain hose where the water will flow into the sump from the DT, this chamber will also house the protein skimmer. The refuge area Im assuming is too small for a DSB, so Im just going to put LR rubble in it with macro algae and a shop light. Im pretty sure the refugium as a whole is too small, but we'll see

This wasnt an expensive adventure for me so dont worry about hurting my feelings. Tell me what you think, Im open to new ideas and if its not adequate then I can always use it like it was originally designed.