PDA

View Full Version : Ruby head Fairy Wrasse

sponger0
06/23/2012, 02:24 PM
Im looking for more info on this fish. I have had mine for about a year now. I had a hard time figuring out what kind of wrasse I had.

From what I can tell from the internet searches, its a C. cyanopleura. But when I look up that species name, like 4-7 different other wrasses come up with all kinds of different color patterns. So that has had me confused for awhile. But found out what he was.

Very docile. Getting close to 4 inches. Very vivid colors. It says they get up to 5 inches.

But recently he has been exhibiting some strange behaviors. One he has been swimming up to my clowns and then swimming around them, especially my perc, in circles. But not he seems he is coming up to the perc nipping at him and my clown shows some marks on him. He isnt chasing him just randomly coming up and nipping.

Can anyone explain this?

Also, are there other wrasses I can put this guy with when I upgrade to a 120?

evolved
06/24/2012, 03:06 PM
You are correct; Ruby head is an Indo variation of C. cyanopleura. However, this is a debatable area by some, as this variant really bridges the gap between C. cyanopleura and C. solorensis.

The behavior you're seeing is not abnormal; it's hierarchical behavior. Even with a little bit of nipping, this isn't something I'd fret much about. So long as they're not injuring each other or one forcing the other into hiding, I wouldn't worry.

In a 120, you have a lot of choices for other wrasses with this species. Most other fairys and flashers would be fine; there are a few exceptions however.

sponger0
06/24/2012, 07:54 PM
I was just making sure there wasnt an issue forming. He isnt chasing him around the tank so I figured it was just a form of pecking order in the tank developing. Cause everyone seem to be overall peaceful and happy.

Some of the one I was thinking of were Filamented, Carpernters,or pearl wrasse. Thoughts? Or any recommendations similar to those that would be good for a 120?