PDA

View Full Version : flat worm exit, am I doomed

Aslmx
06/23/2012, 07:49 PM
I used salifert flat worm exit last night. Did not get to do a water change until today because of a family emergency. So far it looks like Ive lost millis, montis and zoas but what worries me is my fish. Their eyes look milky. Did a 20 gallon change today and going to do another one tomorrow. Is it going to be a complete crash? 75 gallon . Duncans, and candy canes look fine.

bnumair
06/23/2012, 08:14 PM
after using that med u are supposed to get all the flatworms out as they die and become toxic. if u have a QT setup move ur fish to it and if u dont then setup a Qt move fish there and change water daily till things settle down in ur main.

jimmyj7090
06/23/2012, 08:15 PM
How bad was the FW infestation?

Generally speaking FW exit doesn't cause much stress to a system even if overdosed, but dying flatworms do.

Aslmx
06/23/2012, 08:29 PM
How bad was the FW infestation?

Generally speaking FW exit doesn't cause much stress to a system even if overdosed, but dying flatworms do.it was a lot. Fish are eating and acting fine but the eyes look bad. I'll do another change tomorrow. All parimeters are good as far as amonia, nitrates and such. I'll just keep watch. Do I need to leave the lights out for a couple of days.

AliciaP
06/23/2012, 08:47 PM
Your test kits are probably not testing for the dead flatworm toxins, I would remove the fish asap so they aren't poisoned.

Aslmx
06/23/2012, 10:20 PM
Your test kits are probably not testing for the dead flatworm toxins, I would remove the fish asap so they aren't poisoned.

really not an option right now. going to change 20 more gallons tomorrow. I hope it works. if not my time in this hobby will probably end.

strat24
06/23/2012, 10:25 PM
Are you running any carbon? I would just do water changes and see what happens. What size of tank is it?

bertoni
06/24/2012, 01:25 AM
I would run a bunch of carbon and keep up the water changes. I'm not sure what is going to survive.

bnumair
06/24/2012, 10:26 AM
i gave u the solution to ur problem 10 min after you asked this question. ur livestock safety is in what i stated earlier. work on that and u may have some survive.

Aslmx
06/24/2012, 03:53 PM
everything looks a little better except for a scopas tang but I cant catch him to get him out. I ll do another wc tomorrow and see what happens.

Aquarist007
06/24/2012, 09:40 PM
everything looks a little better except for a scopas tang but I cant catch him to get him out. I ll do another wc tomorrow and see what happens.

as others have stated change out your carbon and or add more for the next week or so.

Having run the flat worm medication I would borrow a uv sterizler from someone and run it for the next couple of months. Flat worms may use a similar life cycle to other parasites where the eggs stay encapsulated for a period of time and then hatch. Running the uv sterilzer will zap those new flat worms as they become water borne
I prefer this method rather then re dosing with flat worm exit a number of times over a course of a few weeks

AliciaP
06/24/2012, 09:44 PM
If you can't even remove the fish to a large Tupperware type of tub, then I would run large amounts of carbon in a high flow area. (like everyone else stated)

MarineSniper
06/24/2012, 10:08 PM
I would be changing the carbon daily. I bought a guy's 3 tank setup, with over 130 different corals and even after dipping, ended up with a massive infestation. I used the Exit, after vacuuming for 10 days and there were still tons floating, 5 minutes later. I did a 30% water change 15 minutes in, started 2 hob filters with Poly-Filters and ran 3 canisters of carbon. Still got a nitrite spike (that's the only real indicator you can test for). Another 30g change and new carbon the next morning took care of it

The toxins the dead ones release are massive, even after 15 minutes. Yours had many hours to poison your tank, through no fault of your own. I would continue the water changes, daily; if need be. I would also change your carbon daily, or as often as the amount on hand allows. The directions state to have 1# for every 50 gallons and you may want to throw a hob filter on, with the Poly-Filter pad. If you don't have a filter sock, get one on there. Mine turned black daily, for 4 days after the treatment. Very bad luck but getting those toxins out, as fast as is feasible, through those 4 methods will get your water clean again