PDA

View Full Version : How to help a FS split faster

ConnorG
06/23/2012, 10:19 PM
How can I help my frog spawn split faster? It has taken 4-5 months to get this far. How can I help it finish splitting? Here is a picture.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/Budgieboy21/be1daa0a.jpg

OoNickoC
06/24/2012, 12:02 AM
Not trying to attack here, just thoughts had may improve growth.
Judging by the amount of Corraline algae thee has either been a lot of moving of the love rock or your parameters are off.
Ild go "back to basics" and check your alk, ph, and mag which are the basis for calcification that lps like this need to grow faster.

OoNickoC
06/24/2012, 12:04 AM
Hahaha, edit feature isn't working....auto type on my tablet ftw

BrownPoseidon
06/24/2012, 04:23 AM
http://i45.*******.com/oh0qoh.jpg This took me 8 months to get the right head to split. Flesh hasn't fully split. Left head died within days after arrival into my tank for some mysterious reason.

Maxi
06/24/2012, 05:27 AM
From my experience, I started off with a two headed frogspawn to having it split into 23 and also break off on its own having frogspawn's in every corner of my tank...
I just sold the thing yesterday for 80.00.

It just splits on its own, never bother a frogspawn when it comes to splitting because you will mess with its natural 'circle' polyp extension growth. Get what I mean? Just let it take its course, its bone is very thick compared to most corals.
I never fed mine, my clowns just used it as a host.

And for the corraline issue, I don't know because I can't see your whole tank. Glass encrusts faster with corraline than rock. But me personally, your frogspawn looks good its just a night time shot so its closed. Put up an open shot with daylight fixtures turned on and then we might be able to diagnose an issue, but I highly doubt it since frogspawns are very hardy corals.

And remember, do not try to split it faster, it does it when it is ready!

ConnorG
06/24/2012, 08:43 AM
Not trying to attack here, just thoughts had may improve growth.
Judging by the amount of Corraline algae thee has either been a lot of moving of the love rock or your parameters are off.
Ild go "back to basics" and check your alk, ph, and mag which are the basis for calcification that lps like this need to grow faster.

The rock has been moved quite a bit because it's a relatively new tank and I have been messing with the aquascaping

And I will take an open shot today thanks for all of your help!

gmate
06/24/2012, 12:29 PM
I've had my frogspawn for 7 months and it hasn't split yet. It's three heads, and has stayed three heads. The individual heads have doubled in size, but it hasn't split. Patience and time my friend :)

Michigan Mike
06/25/2012, 12:17 AM
Maxi- you say they break off on their own, have you seen it? Mine gets a bubble in the center during the day. It popped a tiny piece off and it started flowing in the water column and my clown started attacking itlike it was food. It's happened more than once, s this a new coral that will grow if it lands in a good spot? Mine isn't splitting but it is shedding pieces. I want another one! Lol