PDA

View Full Version : My Aquarium Temp

AquaticFuture
06/24/2012, 04:32 PM
I thought i would share this little bit of information about the temp in my aquarium. I realized that I was going to start having a tempature problem when I bought my 3 175w metal halides for my 125 gal aquarium so I started to look at chillers but then I was even more shocked at how much they cost. especially for something that I was hoping to not even need. But then I built a 55 gal refugium to replace the very tiny 29 gal refugium I made before. Ever since i made this switch i have knowticed that i no longer have a problem with my water temp. i guess for the large amount of water under the aquarium where it actually has time to cool off before it runs back into my tank actually keeps the water where it needs to be. right around 78.5 durring the day (AC stays at 75) so it actually works out great and saves me a few dollars. im not sure how well this will work for people with higher wats on there metal halides but its food for thought if your trying to save a little money.

vietnam
06/24/2012, 06:53 PM
it all depends on a few things, what temp the a/c is at and then other stuff like what is in the tank (powerhead, pumps, etc... things that produce energy and heat.) with a bigger surface area for water, it will help cool it, a fan helps a lot as well.

sirreal63
06/24/2012, 07:15 PM
78 is a winter temp on most reefs, corals have their slowest growth during the winter. Why 78 degrees. Are you keeping creatures that require low temps?

AquaticFuture
06/24/2012, 07:36 PM
Well 78 is a lot better than when it was at 84 at one point in time. I know that most people keep there tanks around 80 but where its at is better than before. I still need to take a temp check at night to see what it falls to over the course of the night to see if i need to put the heaters back into it or not. Im not really trying to put heaters in it just to raise it 1 or 2 dagrees. but as of now everything is doing great in the aquarium so even if they arent growing fast as long as there ok with where its at then im happy lol.

sirreal63
06/24/2012, 07:42 PM
As long as you are comfortable with it. FWIW 84 is not a bad temp if it is the ending temp when the lights go out. There are many of us who run that temp intentionally. Most reefs run much hotter than that and as the tank is acclimated to it, it gives great growth and causes no issues and having that daily temp fluctuation is a good thing for the times when the electricity goes out or a heater fails.

scarface70706
06/24/2012, 10:57 PM
i was having the same issue with temp since i live in a old flat roof house and my ac is in the front of the house as my tank is in the back room. once i saw my tank reach 84 i was freaking out. (it was a very hot day 100 deg.) my ac just couldnt keep the back rooms cool enough so i cranked my heater down. i run mine right now at 77-78 and its been pretty cool lately but im sure when it gets hot again it will bump up to 80.