PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Tusk with corals, inverts, & clams?

yellowtruck75
06/25/2012, 06:11 PM
I am interested in getting a Harlequin Tusk. I am setting up either a 90 gallon or 120 gallon tank (both 4 foot long), what is the minimum tank required for a Harlequin Tusk? Are they safe with corals? I have heard that they like inverts, what about clams? I want to make sure that I am properly educated before possibly getting one.

kramgnik
06/25/2012, 06:45 PM
I have had one for several years with no issues in a reef tank. It has eaten all hermits but left snails alone. The tank contains many corals and large clams, neither of which it has bothered. It is rather aggressive so you may not want to introduce it first.

yellowtruck75
06/25/2012, 07:07 PM
What size tank tank do you have it in kramgnik?

michaelr
06/25/2012, 07:16 PM
I have had one for several years with no issues in a reef tank. It has eaten all hermits but left snails alone. The tank contains many corals and large clams, neither of which it has bothered. It is rather aggressive so you may not want to introduce it first.

+1 i never had any large clams with it but i would feed mine clams so idk. my tusk didnt touch corals and would try but fail to eat snails. it did eat crabs and hermits though. this all was in a 120 gallon tank

n8ureman
06/25/2012, 10:04 PM
I had a indo harlequin tusk for a few years in my reef. But I removed him because I could not keep a CUC (including snails) which he would knock off the glass and the unlucky ones that landed upside down he would eat as they tried to right themselves. He was also in with both Derasa and Crocea clams without any problems. Awesome fish with lots of personality. Hope this helps.

bullitr
06/26/2012, 12:40 AM
I have a small one for over a year now that eats pellets primarily but like all harlequin tusk it will eat shrimp
Other than that they never bother anything in the tank.

So i have 2 small aussie harlequin tusk now :)

It's somewhere there
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/aquarium%202012/IMG_6893-Copy.jpg

MrTuskfish
06/26/2012, 09:48 AM
Tusks are big, active, robust fish. IMO, a 4' tank is much too small for an adult. A camped tusk will take out the frustration on stuff he usually wouldn't bother. Any invert is lunch and I've seen them nip clam mantels.

bullitr
06/26/2012, 03:43 PM
I own ht off and on for over 8 Years now it never nips clams

enjetek
06/26/2012, 06:57 PM
Damn you Lawrence two hts. Must be pretty. :). Gonna be cool when they get bigger such beautiful fish