PDA

View Full Version : smallest system a cs1 should be ran on?

cec09
06/25/2012, 08:22 PM
Just wondering. I just set up my 25 gal cube with 10 gal sump and two mr5 reactors. I would say it is about 35 gallons. Am I going to have a problem with the skimmer being way too oversized? I will have it stocked pretty heavy and I do like to feed my fish and corals.

Want2BS8ed
06/26/2012, 04:08 AM
No. I have mine on a 15 gallon DT with a 30 gallon sump - roughly the same total volume as yours (30-35 gallons).

The 15 was supposed to be temporary until a 60 gallon cube could be brought online, however the tank has done so well I haven't had the heart (or the time for that matter) to do the switch.

Don't expect a lot of foam production and there is a penalty for preferring wet skimmate - you need to run the water level in the skimmer slightly higher than you normally would. Otherwise you wouldn't get any spillover into the collection cup.

I was running into rather frequent overflows until retrofitting with the recirculating kit. I'm now running the recommended system volume through the skimmer and it works great (as in zero overflows since installing).

Coupled with a Swabbie, Davy Jones locker and small system volume, I am only doing skimmer maintenance every 3-4 months now and could probably go longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cec09
06/26/2012, 06:37 AM
Sounds good. I do have that recirc model with a biopellet reactor plumbed into it. So you run it wetter or drier?

Want2BS8ed
06/26/2012, 06:52 PM
I've always preferred to run wet. I'm still amazed at the quantity of skimmate that gets pulled from such a small system volume.

Interested to here how the bio-pellets work for you inline. I currently dose a vodka/vinegar mix for carbon, but have often thought about replacing it with just what you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cec09
06/26/2012, 08:58 PM
Ive been running the skimmer fed from the biopellet reactor for about a year on my 120 gal reef pond. Worked amazing. stinkiest darkest crud ever. Took the pond down about 2 months ago and am now getting this one set up