PDA

View Full Version : Cyclopeeze

SAY
06/26/2012, 08:49 AM
I want to load my auto-feeder daily to feed the tank cyclopeeze. However, I leave the house at 7am and the tank wakes up at noon. If i use the freeze dried cyclopeeze and set the auto-feeder for 2pm, is 7 hours too long for this product to sit outside of the fridge?

aandfsoccr04
06/26/2012, 10:02 AM
I don't really think that would work. It's not so much about leaving it outside the fridge too long but the way it breaks down into tiny particles. I just don't see it really working in an autofeeder. I'd try pellets like New LIfe Spectrum or something.

snorvich
06/26/2012, 12:08 PM
I don't really think that would work. It's not so much about leaving it outside the fridge too long but the way it breaks down into tiny particles. I just don't see it really working in an autofeeder. I'd try pellets like New LIfe Spectrum or something.

Exactly. Freeze dried cyclopeeze will float nicely into your filter and degrade.

SAY
06/26/2012, 12:27 PM
I appreciate the responses. i won't be using the auto-feeder in its intended manner. i have the auto feeder rigged to only allow the loading and dumping of one serving. I don't actually load the canister. i basically just place the food on top and it falls off into the water when it spins. Yes, i understand the floating aspect of the freeze dried. i have run a few trial runs using one of those cheap floating feeding stations attached to the tank lid that keeps the cyclopeeze in one place until it becomes saturated and sinks. There is some waste but not much. I was really just concerned about the food spoiling.

SAY
06/26/2012, 06:15 PM
Anyone else have any thoughts on how long freeze dried cyclopeeze can stay out before it spoils?

Psirex
06/26/2012, 07:11 PM
are you thinking of frozen cubes? because 'freeze dried' brings to mind something like freeze dried blood worms or brine shrimp which is kind of like flake which can last out in the open for hours\days... As for the frozen cube its only a matter of minutes before it melts and a few hours before its bad to use...

SAY
06/27/2012, 07:19 AM
It is definitely freeze dried but says it should be refrigerated after opening. More than likely that is just to extend its life but I want to make sure before i leave it sitting out for seven hours. Thanks for the response.

Psirex
06/27/2012, 11:05 AM
im pretty sure it will be fine

SAY
06/27/2012, 12:26 PM
thanks. i appreciate the help.