PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby

ReefMonster21
06/26/2012, 11:16 AM
whats up reef central...im new to this hobby cant want to start my tank. so far i got a 90 Gallon tank with 2 icecap 250watt mh ballast w/reflectors and sockets. i need to get new bulbs tho. a remora c pro hob skimmer that needs a new pump, a ehheim 1250 return pump, and 55 gallon oceanic sump , two timers ..im sure im missing a few things but what do you guys think so far

nanito
06/26/2012, 11:22 AM
That is a good start. Do not forget about heaters and powerheads.

poakley723
06/26/2012, 11:22 AM
A good start. if you are running a sump you could look into getting a skimmer to go in your sump rather then a HOB.

A few other things you may need.
Heater about 300w should do.
Power heads or other stuff for water flow.

Have you made sure the sump will fit into your stand.

ReefMonster21
06/26/2012, 11:41 AM
yea the sump fits into the stand ..... i have a heater also that was given to me with the tank not sure how many watts but the last owner said thats wat he used.. yea power heads are next ... what about chillers? o i have a question about the top of my tank where can i find a canopy... right now its just opened on the top and kinda worried about leaving it open when the tank is finally started?

chad316
06/26/2012, 12:53 PM
yea the sump fits into the stand ..... i have a heater also that was given to me with the tank not sure how many watts but the last owner said thats wat he used.. yea power heads are next ... what about chillers? o i have a question about the top of my tank where can i find a canopy... right now its just opened on the top and kinda worried about leaving it open when the tank is finally started?

Clip on fans or heat sink fans are an option. I've read they do pretty well at cooling your tank off if needed.

BRS has a DIY video on how to make a mesh top for your tank...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CzorCknWQ&feature=player_embedded

nanito
06/26/2012, 03:32 PM
I would buy new heaters. Even if you have one, it is used and you do not know for how long. We have to change them once a year. I would start with a new one.
And do not forget to get your test kits.