PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps RS-200 Sump Question

scubaprashant
06/27/2012, 06:17 AM
I have an Eshopps RS-200 Sump which comes with two micron filter socks that hang inside of the sump.

I had to go hunting for a missing clown this morning so my first stop was the filter bags (which turned out to be fish-free). Anywho, getting them out wasn't very fun. I didn't have the time to (nor did I want to) disconnect the hoses and remove the seals so that I could properly remove the filter bags.

So, my alternative was squeezing the center of the frame (thus creating a rhombus shape) to get each one out. They do not slide out without doing this because the pipes going into the bag keep the bags from sliding out easily.

I still haven't been able to get them back into the hanging frame.

What I wanted to know is if anyone else has a better way of dealing with this issue or if it's just a manufacturing design flaw. The only solution I could see is cutting down the pvc dropping into the sump so that the frame for the filter can slide in and out freely. Of course this would cause more noise down in the sump.. Decisions decisions..

And to those of you who may be curious...I have yet to find my clown. Next step is holding my power head up the LR to see if it's stuck...then running something down the PVC pipes to see if it is hung up on something.

Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome.

scubaprashant
06/27/2012, 09:14 AM
Well, sure enough the little booger was hidden on the side of the pre-filter in the overflow box......ALIVE.

I had killed my pump and realized he was there...then realized that my box was running out of water :wildone: and had to keep dumping water in there until I could let him surf down to my sump...in which I rescued him, yelled at him, and threw him back into the tank.

I read about people cutting acrylic and putting it on top of the opening on the overflow box so I did that.

I'm sure I'm going to have to do something better than that so the fish don't try to take a dirt nap on the acrylic.

Still can't figure out why they make it so difficult to insert and remove the micron bag, but I'll be looking into fixing that soon!

fishgate
06/27/2012, 10:15 AM
I have the RS100 and I have nothing sticking down into the bag. I got it used but my hose connection plugs into from above and there is maybe 1/2" below. So I would just cut it or perhaps you can turn the bulkhead fitting on the sump upside down.

scubaprashant
06/28/2012, 07:53 AM
I have the RS100 and I have nothing sticking down into the bag. I got it used but my hose connection plugs into from above and there is maybe 1/2" below. So I would just cut it or perhaps you can turn the bulkhead fitting on the sump upside down.

Do you find that it is noiser because it has more splash or is it about the same as if it were to have more depth?

fishgate
06/28/2012, 08:32 AM
Do you find that it is noiser because it has more splash or is it about the same as if it were to have more depth?

No it's noisy. Where the tank is located noise doesn't matter though and being in the cabinet underneath masks a lot of the noise. If noise it a concern, you wouldn't want to do it this way. Or perhaps find a way to easily pull the pipe off for sock cleaning.

scubaprashant
07/07/2012, 07:24 AM
I finally was able to flip those inserts around. I guess they were installed upside down to begin with hah.. I ended up having to make a wrench out of a piece of acrylic to loosen the nut....

Anywho, much better now and I can slip out the socks without a problem in the world. They kind of dip into the sump though so I looped some string through the plastic and tied it to the pipes going into the sump. Works perfectly.

azjohnny
07/07/2012, 08:40 AM
I has the RS 300 and I have cut a notch out of one side of the sock from the top to about half way down and that enables me to slide the sock on without any problems

chris.scang
02/26/2014, 07:45 PM
Other than your issue with the filter socks, are you happy with the RS-200? I'm thinking about purchasing one. Any input would be appreciated!

ScubaGal04
04/02/2017, 12:00 PM
I have 3 fish trapped in the compartment behind the sock. The Eshopps has a fixed divider and top over the back compartment where the overflow hose comes into the sump. Does anyone have an idea how I can rescue my fish. I am including factory pictures of the sump and actual pictures of my sump. You can barely see my Mocha Clown in the overflow compartment. Please Help!!!https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPOnEcCCuzX0wmyDffdpfWLKSiL7k44O7r6LyXh

ScubaGal04
04/02/2017, 12:01 PM
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPOnEcCCuzX0wmyDffdpfWLKSiL7k44O7r6LyXh