PDA

View Full Version : another kalk question but i need the spacific advice.

tagraham
06/27/2012, 11:53 AM
tank

29 gal standerd display
20 gal sump

total water volume -rock-sand-acctera. aprox 30 gal

live stock small sps frags about 6 of them all looking good and growing
a medium sized brain and a 2 headed frog spawn

i am using brs 2 part on dosing pumps and im chasing my cal and alk all over the place.
alk 9.1
cal 415-420
mag 1500
phos undetectable red sea test kit
nitrate " " " " " " " " " "

i know that the cal and alk are looking ok right now but that was just yesterday . i have tried raising them to exactly where i want them and then letting it sit for 24 hours then calculating the amount consumed then re raising then dosing said amount with the dosers.... dosnt work for some reason they are all over the place and different every day and when i am getting them in the right place it is consumed to fast to just dose at at night then let it sit all day and repeat. so i split it up and then it only got crazyer diferent results everyday at the same test time...

so i wanted to try using kalk in my ATO (10 gallon tank with aqulifter on my reefkeeper)

so i need you experts to diagnose my issue and let me know what you think.
and if i do need to go to kalk what ,based on my tank size and such, should my saturation be in my ATO . thank you for all your help and sorry for my spelling.

is randy still around these days?

vietnam
06/27/2012, 06:15 PM
Kalk with ATO water is ususally that, top off water. In some cases its enough to cover what cal and alk is depleted over time. Other times, it isnt such as with an SPS dominated tank. For that some use Kalk+ATO, 2-part or a CA reactor.

You might be able to pull it off with the RKL+aqualifter but you would have to figure how often to turn it on for make up water. Your levels may vary as well.

bertoni
06/27/2012, 08:56 PM
I would try dosing by hand for a few days, to determine whether the problem is the dosers or something else is happening. Dosing once in the morning and once in the evening should keep the levels steady enough for a few days of experimentation.

I don't know whether the AquaLifter doses slowly enough to be safe for Kalk. I used a peristaltic pump.

FIREFISHPAT
06/28/2012, 02:21 AM
I'm going away for a week. I add two parts everyday. So was thinking of adding Kalk to the ATO. Too maintain levels while gone. I heard and going to try adding it to ATO already mixed and only take clear water not white reside on the bottom that will help not clog pump. Also heard add a little vineagar 5ml per gal will dissolve and increase effects. I also heard they save on adding two parts but still add put not as much.

tagraham
06/28/2012, 05:57 AM
Well I think I got everything under control. I tested yesterday again and it was stable. Guess I just has one swing causing an effect on the other. All is good now

irvp13
06/28/2012, 06:38 AM
I'd recommend you stay with the dosers. I have a LPS dominated tank and I have been trying Kalk with ato and Kalk + vinager for a few months now. Even with saturated Kalk and vinager solution I couldn't keep up with the levels.
Stay with the doser but don't go from one day to the other. Is better if you check and raise your levels and let it sit for a week. Check again and divide the drop by 7 to get how much you need to replete daily. Set and let the doser run for a week and check again after. Adjust the doser if nessesary.

vietnam
06/28/2012, 07:11 AM
I'd recommend you stay with the dosers. I have a LPS dominated tank and I have been trying Kalk with ato and Kalk + vinager for a few months now. Even with saturated Kalk and vinager solution I couldn't keep up with the levels.
Stay with the doser but don't go from one day to the other. Is better if you check and raise your levels and let it sit for a week. Check again and divide the drop by 7 to get how much you need to replete daily. Set and let the doser run for a week and check again after. Adjust the doser if nessesary.

very correct. i check my levels weekly and they are on target now. I use to test daily till my 2-part was on point with what I needed.

tagraham
06/28/2012, 07:15 AM
Ok great thanks guys. I appreciate the help