PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel In Mixed Reef

boardn365
06/27/2012, 02:18 PM
I have had two Flame Angels in a mixed reef and both decided they liked the taste of corals. They nipped at mostly LPS but I would think that if they didn't have the LPS they would have nipped at the SPS too.

Problem is I want really want to have one in my reef. I have heard they are 50/50 and keep telling myself that I can find one that won't nip.

I have seem some Flame Angels in reef tanks but wanted to know more about other people experience keeping Flame Angels in a mixed reef? Any opinions without experience on this also welcome.

Englishmatt
06/27/2012, 02:33 PM
I've had one for only 2 weeks with SPS, LPS and Softies. No nipping than I can tell yet, but I am watching him.

I do feed twice a day...Frozen being one of the two feedings.

If he nips....he's gone, then I'll go with a Lamarc or Swallowtail.

gofor100
06/27/2012, 02:36 PM
I've kept a Flame in the past (currently have a Potter's)... I think feeding is a huge deal. If they are fed 2+ times a day (preferably 3 times) of a varied diet (including vegetation AND pellets/flakes/frozen), then you decrease the chances of nipping dramatically.

They're beautiful fish, so I would take the chance (personally)...

-Chad

freeswimmingfis
06/27/2012, 02:40 PM
I have had a small flame since Fathers day. So far so good.
I feed at least twice a day, flake, pellets and frozen brine/mysis.

rrasco
06/27/2012, 03:20 PM
I just picked one up yesterday for my mixed reef. He will be in QT until September though, so I won't know for a while.

sponger0
06/27/2012, 04:04 PM
Well I cant risk the corals I have in my tank....too much money spent on them. But I have really been eyeing flame angels for the last 6 months. So I decided to say screw it and make a simple fowlr just for a flame angel.....cause I have to have one. Granted its not going to be a true fowlr. Im going to put all the massive coral growers in there, anthelia, xenia, clove polyps, and GSP. Thought it would make for a nice flow tank...but then again it might be turned into a fowlr. Depends on the angel hahahaha

jtma508
06/27/2012, 04:13 PM
Have had a flame in a mixed reef for over 4yrs. Never a problem.

CHSUB
06/27/2012, 04:28 PM
i had 2 different flame angels in two different reef tanks, 7 years and 3 years, never a problem. so ime 100% safe with corals. i just bought one for my newest reef and it died in two days...the lfs said no credit, so it is live aquaria only now, but that is another story...

psteeleb
06/27/2012, 07:00 PM
I had one in my 300g and after about 6 months it started nipping sps so I sold it

I decided to try again in my 110g, it started nipping sps on day one and worse off my coral beauty started to do the same after seeing the flame. Now all my sps that had nice PE are short haired. Other then keeping polyps retracted there doesn't seem to be any real issue with any of my corals health

for example here is my strawberry tabling acro couple days before the flame
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ThBR5M5muTg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and just a couple days after

benjc
06/27/2012, 07:12 PM
Had a medium sized one...nipped at my acans and a chalice. Now I have acans but still miss the flame.

Lostinthedark
06/27/2012, 07:19 PM
I've had one for a couple of years now in a mixed reef. Never a problem. But as mentioned above I think feeding is the key. My wife keeps everything well fed.

boardn365
06/27/2012, 10:27 PM
Looks like feeding is the key. I have been eyeing one at the local fish store that has been there for a couple weeks. I think I am going to give it a try, probably pick it up tomorrow.

More opinions though please.

boardn365
08/01/2012, 03:24 PM
I wanted to give an update to my Flame Angel in a reef. I did purchase the Flame Angel that I had been looking at. It was a very nice one and I couldn't pass it up.

Put him in my tank with just SPS and so far so good. I am going to be moving all my LPS and SPS together in about a month so that will be the true test if he likes those acans. He is so sweet though that I have decided he will win if he ends up just nipping a little but so far been feeding twice a day and he seems happy with that.

I understand it can change but as long as he isn't eating and killing everything at some point, I am going to keep him over the corals I may have to remove.

Mytinysea
08/01/2012, 03:36 PM
Feeding is key, keep them fed well and control the nipping.

Tank14
08/01/2012, 03:50 PM
I have had 2 flames in the past. The first one nipped at corals but the other didn't . I was a little more diligent about proper feeding with the second one, so not sure if it was that or just a different personality with the second one.

Buzz1329
08/01/2012, 04:59 PM
But if the 50/50 coin toss results in a coral eater, wouldn't it be a complete PITA to remove it? I assume you'd have to remove all of the rock? And there are so many other gorgeous fish that definitely do not eat coral. Just saying.

boardn365
08/01/2012, 07:51 PM
I have other gorgeous fish as well but there is something about the Flame Angels that I really like. There aren't any angels that are 100% reef safe so if I am going to take a chance this would be the one I would want to take the chance with. Yes it would be a PITA if he started detroying everything but at this point if it were between him and a couple acans I am going with the Flame Angel. It would be easy to take the acans out.

He is going to be in a 180 that will be well stocked and well fed so the hope is that even if he nips once and a while if it isn't his main food source hopefully that will disperse the damage.

Eric45
08/01/2012, 07:52 PM
Just remember the more you feed the more potential algae problems you develop. I had a flame that never nipped corals until I reduced feeding to once a day to reduce my PO. After that it nipped every coral in the tank. Took me a long time to figure out why all my corals looked so bad also too.

boardn365
08/01/2012, 07:52 PM
I also just got an automatic feeder so that I could make sure he is well fed and consistently fed.

Peter Eichler
08/01/2012, 08:24 PM
I wanted to give an update to my Flame Angel in a reef. I did purchase the Flame Angel that I had been looking at. It was a very nice one and I couldn't pass it up.

Put him in my tank with just SPS and so far so good. I am going to be moving all my LPS and SPS together in about a month so that will be the true test if he likes those acans. He is so sweet though that I have decided he will win if he ends up just nipping a little but so far been feeding twice a day and he seems happy with that.

I understand it can change but as long as he isn't eating and killing everything at some point, I am going to keep him over the corals I may have to remove.

Nah, the true test will be if you still have him a couple years from now and still doesn't nip then. I bet if you had an honest poll or people that have these fish 2+ years in a reef that well over 50% start to nip (especially on meaty type LPS) regardless of how often they're fed.

boardn365
08/01/2012, 10:04 PM
I do believe that. I know in the long run he is likely to nip once and a while. Hopefully my tank will be full of colonies by then that he won't have an affect on them. Nip here and there on different head of different colonies might work out ok.

Worth the risk in my opinion.

ReachTheSky
08/01/2012, 10:36 PM
Have one. Despite feeding 2-3 times a day, he would nip at my SPS corals constantly. Been trying to catch the little booger for a week now. :(

boardn365
08/02/2012, 09:03 AM
How long has yours been in your reef? Did he start nipping right away or after a while?

ReachTheSky
08/02/2012, 11:57 PM
He's been in there for months now. I had him before I put the SPS corals in. Nipping started right away.

zigzag1
08/03/2012, 08:13 AM
Have one. Despite feeding 2-3 times a day, he would nip at my SPS corals constantly. Been trying to catch the little booger for a week now. :(

Same here. Well fed, and still a nipper. The little bastage was VERY sneaky about it, almost like it knew when you were watching.. But when still and in a darkened room when he couldn't see outside the tank, with careful observation it was obvious what was going on. So to those that say they are okay, if you are having any coral or PE issues I would be highly suspect.

Despite repeated attempts, traps, tiny barbless fish hook, etc I was unable to catch him for removal. Could only remove it by removing all the rock when doing a tank replacement. Took many months for my SPS PE to return to normal. No more dwarf angels for my reef tanks.. JMTC & GL!

boardn365
08/03/2012, 09:13 PM
So far my Flame Angel seems to be leaving the corals alone. I still have very good PE on my SPS. I think that there are definitely some that will and then some that won't. Can't say that long term but so far the first two I got were definitely nippers and the third has been ok.

Only time will tell now if he decides to nip. Still woiuld hope that if he does he is only a grazer and not an eater/detroyer.

Michigan Mike
08/03/2012, 09:24 PM
I too have been wanting one, I may put it in a leather/softy dominate tank just to have one. Away from SPS/lps and clams.lol

CoralReeferGal
08/03/2012, 09:32 PM
We just got our flame today... been throwing the idea back and forth for about 6 months now! after info I got from here, as well as personal experience from reefers at my LFS, it seemed overall about 85% say they didn't have problems. Here's to hoping ours isn't a nipper either, or he'll be up for sale in the local forums soon, haha! First time ever with an angel, so hopefully itll work out. Glad to hears yours isnt nipping, and I hope he doesnt start!