PDA

View Full Version : 1st fish problems

warlord239
06/30/2012, 08:18 PM
K my clowns are almost done qt. Problem is idk if i want em anymore because of possible aggression down the road, if i decide i dont want em whats a good first fish that isnt a damsel including clowns

EricSIny
06/30/2012, 08:23 PM
IME clowns have actually been the easiest fish to net. I usually can round up both in less than 10 mins without moving rock work, so removal can be MUCH easier than a dreaded damsel.

Also the type of species and if tank bred or not will all play a role in aggression as some are worse than others.

sporto0
06/30/2012, 08:37 PM
Well it depends on your tank size, but dwarf angels are a good choice if the tank is at least 20 gallons or more.

warlord239
06/30/2012, 09:22 PM
Yea its a 45 gal but i also want corals a little ways down the road so im a little skeptical about angels

warlord239
07/01/2012, 07:52 AM
Anyone else have suggestions

Cloudburst2000
07/01/2012, 06:05 PM
Well, what types of clowns do you have? Some clowns are fairly passive while others can be quite aggressive. It really depends on what you have. Occys tend to be pretty peaceful, percs a little bit more aggressive, larger clowns are usually even more aggressive and maroons are way aggressive. It also depends on what other fish you want in the tank. You should always try to add the least aggressive fish first then the more aggressive types. Most dwarf angels are listed as semi-aggressive too. Many fish for smaller tanks with the exception of most blennies, gobies, and dartfish are semi-aggressive. There are a couple exceptions in each category (ex...pajama cardinal is peaceful) but I'm say most smaller fish outside of blennies, gobies, and dartfish are semi-aggressive and even they can sometimes be aggressive with similar shaped-fish. What you should do is make out a fish wish list. Then determine the best order to add them to your tank based on aggression levels. My fish wish list for my newest aquarium will have mostly peaceful fish with a couple semi-aggressive fish. The two semi-aggressive fish will be added last so the more peaceful fish will have a chance to stake out their own territory first.

warlord239
07/01/2012, 07:10 PM
Ok im probably gonna add the blenny first then the purple firefish the 2 occys and last the angel

noj3333
07/01/2012, 07:47 PM
Ok im probably gonna add the blenny first then the purple firefish the 2 occys and last the angel

Did you steal my stocking list?
I've got:
-Diamond Spot Goby
- Fire Fish
-2 occys
-Flame Angel
oh and too Fire Shrimp...

warlord239
07/01/2012, 09:00 PM
Haha thats funny, is that thhe order you added em in? Im eiter going flame angel or lemonpeel

RaviC
07/01/2012, 10:47 PM
i would add FF 1st. ive only had 1 bleeny (midas) and he was pretty tough. the 3 FF's i've owned were all punks to all other fish

warlord239
07/01/2012, 11:10 PM
Ok thanks for the tip

mal7887
07/02/2012, 04:58 AM
IME clowns have actually been the easiest fish to net. I usually can round up both in less than 10 mins without moving rock work, so removal can be MUCH easier than a dreaded damsel.

Also the type of species and if tank bred or not will all play a role in aggression as some are worse than others.

+1 If you have problems with them they are IMO the easiest to catch!

warlord239
07/02/2012, 08:33 AM
Ok i guess i will just toss em in anyway lol

Cloudburst2000
07/03/2012, 05:23 AM
Haha thats funny, is that thhe order you added em in? Im eiter going flame angel or lemonpeel

As much as I love the lemon peel, be warned that they will probably eat SPS corals and clams if you plan on keeping those. I plan on getting a lemon peel and therefore will only be keeping LPS and softies in that tank as lemon peels are much less likely to chow on them. If you want to keep SPS corals and/or clams, then the flame angel would be a much safer bet.

Cloudburst2000
07/03/2012, 05:27 AM
i would add FF 1st. ive only had 1 bleeny (midas) and he was pretty tough. the 3 FF's i've owned were all punks to all other fish

Depends on the blenny type. My tailspot blenny is very peaceful and never bothers anything. Some blennies are extemely peaceful and should probably be added first. Some are a bit on the tougher side and can be added a bit later. Same goes for gobies. It depends on the fish within that grouping...not the grouping itself. We can't really suggest when the OP add the blenny until we know what type of blenny he is planning on adding. What is true for the midas might very well not apply to a different type of blenny.

ezerasurfr
07/03/2012, 05:44 AM
You'll enjoy the clowns. They are pretty appropriately named (I had a false perc pair that were really fun to watch, unfortunately they died to an ich outbreak). My current Clarki pair have a ton of aggression, but its managed by the other fish in my tank. If you have that small of a stock list, even if your clowns are the aggressors the other fish should have no problem with it.