PDA

View Full Version : Is Archilles Tang reef safe?

Zoasman
07/01/2012, 01:58 AM
Guys, I need your opinion on this one. Today I saw a beautiful 2 inches Archilles tang at LFS and I immediately fell in love. Its body shape was nice and the movement was simply amazing. I could not control myself to tell the owner that I will pick it up this weekend as it is just arrived at the store. I would like to find out whether this tanga will nip z n p.....it is super sweet but at the same time I dont wanna risk it.

jamgar
07/01/2012, 02:07 AM
Yes, it is generally considered reef safe

geaux xman
07/01/2012, 02:16 AM
an achilles primer thread just in case you are interested.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492655&page=52&highlight=achilles+primer

One of the more difficult tangs to keep. Once well acclimated and feeding well, they can be fairly hardy.

If you have history of ich in your tank, I would strongly advise not to get the achilles. They are very sensitive to ich.

But yes, the AT is definitely reef safe.

Mr. Fish
07/01/2012, 02:27 AM
Reef safe, but one of the more difficult tangs to keep healthy. Prone to ich and other problems. Once you get it eating and through the transport stress it should be a pretty solid fish for you as long as you have a big tank, keep it well fed and have tons of water flow. One of my favorite tangs, nice choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zoasman
07/01/2012, 04:14 AM
Reef safe, but one of the more difficult tangs to keep healthy. Prone to ich and other problems. Once you get it eating and through the transport stress it should be a pretty solid fish for you as long as you have a big tank, keep it well fed and have tons of water flow. One of my favorite tangs, nice choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have been debating to add another tang onto my z n p tank, since my black tang is a model citizen. I have heard that Archilles tang does nip on the z n p, that I definitely am cautious about. However, after seeing that particular AT today, I really could not help myself but to tell the LFS owner to hold it for me until this weekend. I love my black tang very much, and he has been super playful with me, but AT's movement is just simply amazing.......

Mcsommerfeld
07/01/2012, 07:34 AM
IMO the AT is better off left in the ocean, hard to keep, ich magnet, easily stressed, and a picky eater all adds up to a short life and quick death.

ezerasurfr
07/01/2012, 11:47 AM
IMO the AT is better off left in the ocean, hard to keep, ich magnet, easily stressed, and a picky eater all adds up to a short life and quick death.

the fact that the AT is a Hawaiian source of food, I would say keeping one in a display is not the end of the world. It's not hard to justify keeping food as a pet, even if it doesn't make it.

Zoasman
07/01/2012, 01:17 PM
the fact that the AT is a Hawaiian source of food, I would say keeping one in a display is not the end of the world. It's not hard to justify keeping food as a pet, even if it doesn't make it.

Agreed....that AT is coming to my tank.

ezerasurfr
07/02/2012, 06:38 AM
Good luck with it. Definitely my favorite fish. I just dont have a tank that is prepared for one. I currently have a tank with too many dominant fish that are similar, my powder blue would not be happy with an AT, neither would my Koran or my Clarki (yes, my b***h clarki is a beast).