PDA

View Full Version : Power out--how long can bta hold out?

velvetelvis
07/01/2012, 09:04 AM
The circuit to the room where my tank is tripped and I can't reset it. My leasing office is going to see if they can get an electrician out here (of course this would have to happen on a Sunday). I have two air stones running right now and the nem actually looks fine, but how long can it hold out with no heater, skimmer, or pump?

Rippinfrags
07/01/2012, 11:04 AM
IMO as long as it doesn't get too hot, I wouldn't be too concerned about the bta's. I think they could last a couple of days with just an air stone, but then again I have never tried it...

StaghornE
07/01/2012, 11:08 AM
I would run an extension from somewhere else to at least circulate water. If you have power/canister filters or a sump a couple of days might be enough to create enough hydrogen sulfide to cause a problem.

fragman
07/05/2012, 10:12 PM
Well, I just found out....after 6 days w/o power (thanks Dominion electric and Derecho). tried to give it the best chance I could without a generator, but after 12 years, my rbta sucumbed to the 4th day without power!

Ron Reefman
07/06/2012, 06:29 AM
Long outdoor quality extension cords and a generator are equipment most homes should have. We have hurricanes and serious thunderstorms. Other parts of the country have them or tornados, floods, earthquakes, snow storms, ice storms, wild fires or even drunk drivers taking out power line poles. If you are going to keep fish, corals and inverts in a glass box, be responsible and get at least a small generator.

av8
07/07/2012, 09:34 AM
I recently kept two small anemones alive in a Dasani water bottle for 8 days. No water changes or mechanical equipment of any kind. Oxygenation is key. Of course temp control .... keep it cool.

I agree with Ron ... you should have a generator of some kind. The Honda is very quiet. Big bucks, but when you have to listen to it for 7 days like we did in southern Illinois, quiet is good. Unfortunately I owned an inexpensive / loud generator, but everything lived through the after effects of the Super Derecho on May 8, 2009.