PDA

View Full Version : 20 long stocking suggestions

badgers034
07/02/2012, 09:59 AM
Hey guys,

I recently setup a 20 gallon reef tank and am deciding what fish to get. It currently has an oscellaris clownfish in it, and I want to add probably 2 more fish. I was thinking a royal gramma and a ywg shrimp pair, however I am open to suggestions. Other fish I have considered are the six Line wrasse, possum wrasse, some blennies, hawkish, other gobies, and maybe a dwarf angel like a flame angel or pygmy angel.

The corals will be mainly lps and softies

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

reeferstace
07/02/2012, 12:54 PM
If it was my tank I would add a yellow coris wrasse and one blenny (probably a bicolor) or a shrimp/goby pair.

badgers034
07/02/2012, 04:49 PM
Bump

SushiGirl
07/02/2012, 05:06 PM
I was thinking a royal gramma and a ywg shrimp pair

That would be perfect.

badgers034
07/02/2012, 10:14 PM
That would be perfect.

Ok, I think that is what I'll go with! Thanks for the help. Which fish should I get first?

Also, Im worried about my clownfishes aggression. It will bite my hand occasionally if I put it in the tank and is not afraid of anything. It seems he thinks the entire tank is his. I feel that this will carry over to whenever I get another fish. How can I prevent this behavior?

SushiGirl
07/02/2012, 11:18 PM
If the clown is already showing aggression, you may have a hard time adding anything else in a tank that size except a larger clown of the same kind. The only thing you might be able to do is rearrange the rock when you add a new fish. You can't prevent that behavior, it's just how they are. What kind of clown is it?

MrTuskfish
07/03/2012, 09:51 AM
That would be perfect.

Yeah; most wrasse and all angels are too much fish for a 20. Cramped space=aggression. A sixline in a 20= a homicidal fish. You could also pair up the clown.

badgers034
07/03/2012, 10:02 AM
If the clown is already showing aggression, you may have a hard time adding anything else in a tank that size except a larger clown of the same kind. The only thing you might be able to do is rearrange the rock when you add a new fish. You can't prevent that behavior, it's just how they are. What kind of clown is it?

It is an oscellaris clownfish. If I put him in quarantine and then add the fish and let him get adjusted, would that prevent the aggression?

MrTuskfish
07/03/2012, 02:33 PM
It is an oscellaris clownfish. If I put him in quarantine and then add the fish and let him get adjusted, would that prevent the aggression?

Probably. these clowns are more territorial than aggressive and 20 gals isn't much space. Take away the territory and the aggression will go with it. As the clown matures, it will settle for whatever space it can call home.

SushiGirl
07/03/2012, 06:20 PM
I agree with MrTuskFish. I didn't realize you had a QT, it's a great option. I'd still move a little of the rock if possible, even just one piece could maybe be enough to confuse its memory...maybe the spot it hung out the most. Then put in the new fish & give them at least a week or two to establish their territory & put the clown back in.

badgers034
07/04/2012, 09:29 AM
Well, not surprising I found the royal gramma dead this morning. Not sure if it was the transport back to my house or what. When I put it in, the clownfish chased it, then the royal gramma found a hiding spot in the rockwork so I thought maybe it would be ok, but this morning it was dead. I really dont want to be stuck with a single clownfish in a 20 gallon tank.

So, if I get rid of it, what could I stock in the tank?

It seems that the royal gramma finds a cave it likes and stays there (from what I read). Maybe I wanna scrap this idea. Idk Im lost...
I would also want some sort of goby or blenny (probably YWG/shrimp combo).
Then I would want a fish that swims all around the tank since the other two seem pretty stationary. Maybe a coral beauty or pygmy angel or some sort of wrasse like I said earlier?

SushiGirl
07/04/2012, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear that. You could have a pair of clowns, but that would be it for fish if you did that. If you got rid of the clown, you could easily have a goby shrimp pair & maybe even a blenny since they usually stay on the rocks to perch, but it would have to be one of the smaller blennies thatks not aggressive. There aren't many wrasses that can go in a 20. The 6 line could, but then you'd be stuck with a bully fish again. I have a yellow coris in my 55 that only uses part of my tank, but coming up on a year he's finally starting to venture into a bit over half the tank now instead of a quarter of the tank, so don't know if that would work. You could get a single chromis, but not sure how much it would swim being the only one. When I had one it didn't swim much. You could look into 2 or 3 orange-lined gobies for swimming. They stay small & supposedly group together. Is this tank covered? Most fish are jumpers.

quiksilverchin
07/08/2012, 03:15 PM
I would go with the candy cane goby and tiger pistol shrimp. Mine are great together and the can hide in the hole for safety. Although the candy can does not swim around much

sponger0
07/08/2012, 09:28 PM
IMO if the clowns are being agressive, there isnt much you can put in there.

A 20 gallon is too smal lfor any wrasse or angel. And if you wanna keep LPS, there is a chance the angel could get an appettite for it.

The max I would put in a 20 gallon is 3 fish.

Badbrad8500
07/09/2012, 04:06 PM
I would go with the candy cane goby and tiger pistol shrimp. Mine are great together and the can hide in the hole for safety. Although the candy can does not swim around much

+1. A cool symbiotic pair that usually is so small they add little waste to your system. A small Orchid Dottyback would be a nice addition as well.

MDChurch
07/09/2012, 04:18 PM
Hi all, new here. I have a 20gal. long that has been up about 8 months now. After cycle I started with a royal gramma and he found his territory and little hidey cave. About four months later got a pair of tank raised false percs. To date they all three get along fine. The percs have gone through their submission ritual to decide the dominant fish and the royal gramma is all over the tank right along with them. As long as the percs stay away from his cave they are fine. If they get to close he will chase them away. Otherwise they all three swim all over the tank together, eat together with no aggression.

SushiGirl
07/09/2012, 04:51 PM
Welcome to Reef Central!

Be aware that once the clowns start spawning is when the trouble will start.