PDA

View Full Version : Salifert K Test (Potassium) Review

sahin
07/02/2012, 12:51 PM
I'd been unsure for more than a year about purchasing a Potassium test kit. Reviews of the ones available on the market described issues with determining the end point.

I didn't buy one because I couldn't find one product which has overall good reviews.

A week ago when I read on Andrew's (user V1_Rotate's) thread about the new Salifert Potassium test kit; that the test was precise in determining the end point.

Well, straight away I placed an order from an online vendor.

The product arrived today.

After opening the usual Salifert box, I was founds inside the following:
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/IMG_0945.jpg

Clear instructions, with colour photos of the important steps.

The test is extremely easy:

1. Add 1ml water sample from aquarium to vial.
2. Add 0.5ml of Reagent 1 and swirl for 20 seconds.
3. Add 3 drops of Reagent 2.
4. Add Reagent 3 drop wise, until colour turns from white to blue (swirl after each adding each drop).

The whole test can be completed in about 1 minute.

The end point is so obvious. My water tested at 400ppm, so that is good to know. I use the Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt and previously used Kent Salt on my tank. I did blindly dose Brightwells Potassium product some weeks ago, but stopped as I was afraid of harming my SPS, and wasnt going to continue dosing until I had tested the current Potassium level in my tank.

Currently I don't dose any Potassium products, and this test shows that I don'd need to dose. It is quite refreshing to see a product delivered that makes for easy testing.

I know Andrew tested against a reference solution and found the Salifert Potassium test kit to be very accurate. I cannot provide any verification as to the accuracy, but I found the test kit to be very consistent.

I carried out 3 tests and each time the determined value was the same.

I therefore highly rate the Salifert Potassium test kit. No more guesswork! :D

ridetheducati
07/02/2012, 01:55 PM
What are TM Pro potassium values at 35 ppt?

sahin
07/02/2012, 02:11 PM
What are TM Pro potassium values at 35 ppt?

The last saltwater batch I made up (used a refractometer calibrated at the LFS) tested at:

Ca: 370 - API Test Kit
Alk: 7dKh - Fauna Marin Test Kit
Mg: 1290 - Salifert Test Kit
pH: 8.3 - API

The Pro Reef Salt is made more for those who use Calcium Reactors.

I dont know the official values. My values are only of a sample out of 1 bucket. I did throw the bucket around/roll it about etc and the poured the salt into another bucket and back into the original bucket to mix it a little.

Here in the UK and at my LFS the TMCPR is very cheap hence why I bought it. I used D&D H2Ocean always before the TMCPR and before the Kent Salt. The D&D salt tests much higher levels of Ca, Alk, Mg and even K.

Next time I make up new water I will test the TMCPR for Potassium.

Aiolos
11/15/2012, 07:43 AM
Hi
i'm glad that you find the instructions of use interesting and practical.
It happens that i made them in a cooperation i've had with Salifert.