PDA

View Full Version : Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse

Go29
07/02/2012, 08:20 PM
Hey guys so I'm no noob to the reef hobby, but the newest inhabitant to my new spa cube has me stumped. Now let me also tell you that he is eating like an absolute pig. I added the Rhomboid about 2 months ago, and he has showed zero signs of any decompression related issues. He was super shy, only coming out to quick grab food until about this week. Finally excited to see my show fish i have been observing him, and the front of his mouth looks swollen, like slightly white and puffy. I have had the three same fish ( pair picasso, and a lone dispar anthias) in this tank who were past inhabitants of my older cube, so no new fish have been added that would have introduced any sort of disease. I guess my main question is, if he is out about now, active as heck AND EATING LIKE A PIG should i worry?? He will eat literally anything i drop in the tank, and now will only hide if my arm is inside the tank, no longer spooked when i walk up.

Any input if appreciated as this is a gorgeous specimen, and due to him have zero decompression issues so far i definitely don't want to loose him due to something avoidable. thanks

Go29
07/03/2012, 12:21 PM
no one has any thoughts??? Looking for other opinions on my thoughts of catching him and put in a quarantine to treat with meds, just weary about that as it would induce stress and he is doing great besides the weird white swollen area on his mouth. Thanks

diverdan814
07/04/2012, 12:21 AM
He could have bruised it banging into something. I had one shipped and it had the injury you described. It was caused by it trying to get out of the shipping bag. It went away after a few weeks.. I had another one who never made it. Also I had one that was fine for 6 months and then starting showing swim bladder problems. didn't make it. Beautiful species, sometimes collected poorly.

As long as its eating, you should be alright.
Good luck

Go29
07/05/2012, 09:48 AM
Ya i had assumed that might be the case, when i picked him up from the LFS he didn't look like he had any mouth damage, and is still a complete glutton in my tank so i guess i will just let him be for now and monitor it closely.