PDA

View Full Version : LED Accent light questions?

falconut
07/03/2012, 10:39 AM
I like my current MH lighting as do my corals. Was just looking to possibly replace my (2) VHO Actinics with some LED strips. I only run them a few hours a day, an hour at lights on and two before lights out. I like the added pop with them, just trying to cut out the extra electricity, since they're 110 Watts each.

I see 24 Volt 6 Watt 12" LED (24 LEDs) strip lights for around $40 without a power supply ($16). They come in a nice mountable housing with an optional reflector ($7). But, then I see strip lights on ebay. Some of them have only 1.5 Watts per foot, but others are 5 Watts per foot and are 12 Volt. I could get a 4 foot strip (20 Watt) for $33.95 that includes the power supply. Plus they can be cut every 3". They have an adhesive back and are waterproof.

I'm just looking for some accent, not trying to sustain any corals under them. Never used an LED and just curious is Watts is Watts or are there other factors?

jerpa
07/03/2012, 01:12 PM
Watts are not watts unfortunately, even when comparing LEDs. It's mainly about lumens per watt. You can try the cheap strips but I think you will have trouble with the MH overpowering the LEDs to the point where they are not noticeable at all. If you were just looking for a visual dusk or dawn I would say aesthetically they may work without the halides.

sirreal63
07/03/2012, 01:22 PM
I use Ecoxotic strips with my 10k's and there is a difference. I have one 12" stunner and one 12" Panorama Pro, both in 445nm and there is a huge difference in the two. The Stunner is 6 watts and the Panorama Pro is 19 watts. I can unplug the Stunner and see no difference but if I unplug the Panorama Pro it is very noticeable. Both have reflectors on them as well.

If you do it, get the higher wattage ones or you will not even see them. The ReefBrites are also a very good option but neither is cheap but it won't take more than a few VHO bulb purchases to make up the difference, as well as the heat and electrical difference.

falconut
07/03/2012, 02:18 PM
Not sure of the wattage on this one, but it says about 13 lumens per LED and there's 19 LEDs per foot, so about 250 lumens per foot. Power supply is included. Violet (420nm) or Blue (440nm) is only $19.95 / 3 feet.

Not sure how this compares to the Stunners.

Bluewater04
07/04/2012, 10:33 AM
1 3w cree xt-e royal blue puts out that much.

Radioheadx14
07/05/2012, 05:42 AM
I have 12 3w RBs on my tank with a 250 radium and they are great. I used the strips for aquastyleonline. You have to buy x4 6Led strips ( i ended up getting an extra blue and white strip incase i want a small tank in the future)