PDA

View Full Version : pairing a perc that lost her mate in a large(ish) tank

holdyourlight
07/03/2012, 12:13 PM
I have a 1.75" (approx 1.5 yr old) female percula that lost her mate a couple months ago. I have introduced a 1.25" (was hoping for a bit smaller) juvenile/male that i was told is 7-8 months old. The tank is 125G and it is 6 feet long. I introduced the male about a week ago. At first she harassed him, and i was hoping he would do the "twitch" but i have yet to see it. Now they just basically stay on opposite sides of the tank and ignore each other. I know it hasn't been a great deal of time, but i am just wondering what the likely outcome of this will be. It is possible the tank is large enough that they can co-exist without pairing? I do not want this, and will get a smaller male if need be...
any info , suggestions, personal experience would be very helpful, thanks!

michaelr
07/03/2012, 02:00 PM
my oc did that at first too. eventually they started to interact more with each other. eventually they were together constantly. so who knows but id give it time

mikelee35
07/03/2012, 08:38 PM
In a tank that large it can take some time, the female will probably start to notice the other one more and more, eventually they will start pairing up, hopefully the smaller one will submit to your current female

Mavrk
07/05/2012, 11:12 PM
IMO, provided the male is really a male, pairing will happen eventually.