PDA

View Full Version : Help and Advice for an aspiring softie tank

Quickstir
07/03/2012, 09:42 PM
Okay so I am relatively new to hobby. I've had the 90 gallon tank for well over a year. It started as a mainly marine fish tank but after several trips to the local fish store the coral tanks looked so amazing. I attempted to make coral with no luck. All of it slowly died :(. Local shop didn't really give much advice as to what to do. So hopefully I'll have more luck here. Here are some pics of my setup. 195052195053195054195055195056
Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Englishmatt
07/05/2012, 10:14 PM
I'm no Softie expert, but I would say "Lights, Lights and Lights"...May just be bad pics, but your tank does look a little dark.

Depending on the softie you are looking to keep, they will need great lights to feed the zoo algae internal to the coral. Without the right lighting, they will starve.

Other softies need feeding and don't rely on the lighting as much....

What have you tried to keep? How long are you keeping them before they die?

What's your water parameters?

SushiGirl
07/05/2012, 10:19 PM
What have you tried to keep? How long are you keeping them before they die?

What's your water parameters?

^^that. Definitely need more info.

Thisseemsfishy
07/15/2012, 08:51 AM
I agree with more lighting. Possibly more live rock and I would get rid of the bio balls. They fight with the live rock to grow nitrifying bacteria.

united417
07/15/2012, 12:42 PM
welcome to Reef Central!!and i would advise follow the advice given, once parameters are established we can talk about lighting and the next steps required for a thriving reef