PDA

View Full Version : Need help with AC3

MO Will
07/04/2012, 03:09 PM
Hi all

I am trying to update my AC3

I would like to use the new iPad app by Nullriver

Downloaded the app but can't connect to my AC3

I understand from doing some searches that I need to upgrade the firmware on my AC3 - currently it is version 3.20 and I will need to upgrade to version 3.40

I got the firmware update from the Neptune Systems website

I read the readme file - since my AC3 firmware is version 3.20 I am trying to execute Option B

I am not sure how to execute this maneuver: "Restart the AC3 by powercycling. Press the select button and hold down during the Memory Test. When the display goes blank, release the select button."

What is a memory test?

I am sure that I will have more questions - working with this device is very humbling. I am hoping that the iPad app will make it easier

Thanks in advance

MO Will
07/04/2012, 03:11 PM
Can one alter the program from the iPad app? One problem that I foresee moving forward is that my Windows XP computer is on its way out

Tried to install the Neptune Aquanotes software to my Windows 7 device and it didn't seem to be working - maybe because I don't run Office and Access?

Thanks

Will

RussM
07/04/2012, 03:20 PM
What is a memory test?
It's been quite a while since I had an AC3, but IIRC, the AC3 goes through a short self test on power up. Hold down the select button while it is that phase, before the display starts showing the normal data.

MO Will
07/04/2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks Russ!!!!

That did allow me to access the Update Flash Entry menu on the AC3

I executed this function but the update was not successful

Either this is because there are other DHCP servers on my router: "Make sure that no other DHCP server is running on your local network. Login to your router via your webbrowser to shut down its DHCP."

I have never logged on to my router previously. I do have an IP address for the router that I wrote down several years ago, but when I type it into my browser I get an error message.

Or, I haven't successfully shut down all the firewalls

Any additional advice appreciated

Will

RussM
07/04/2012, 04:18 PM
Your router's IP address will probably be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. If you have AT&T service, it will be 192.168.1.254.

MO Will
07/04/2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Russ

Thanks for your helpful replies

I see that you are a great resource on this forum from all of my searches

I tried all of the web addresses you suggested

None of them seemed to work

Unfortunately my Windows XP device is from work and I can't disable the firewall

I can disable the firewall on my WIndows 7 device but the updater doesn't run on this system

Would I have any more luck if I tried one of these options:

1. Try to plug ethernet cable from AC3 directly into my computer instead of plugging it into my router and then going through wireless connection

2. Upgrade first to 3.30 then to 3.40

3. Return to neptune for update

THanks in advance

Will

RussM
07/04/2012, 05:13 PM
On the XP machine, open a command prompt. Type ipconfig and hit Enter. The active network interface will be shown - the default gateway IP address is the router's address.

If you temporarily assign the computer a static IP address, you can do a direct connection; without a static IP address on the PC, a direct connection won't work.

MO Will
07/04/2012, 07:30 PM
OK I was able to determine the router's IP address using the command prompt

This allowed me to access the Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router Utility

From here I can see all of the DHCP clients

Also I can place my XP machine outside of the "NAT firewall" in a "DMZ zone"

I shut down the DHCP server using the router utility

I shut down the router firewall using the router utility

As mentioned above I am unable to shutdown the Windows firewall on my XP device as it is a work computer

I tried to do the firmware update several times and it failed

Here are the instructions for Option B in the Readme file:

Run the ac3loader.exe application. (Success)

On the DHCP Setup tab:
Make the IP pool starting address an unused IP address on your local
network (usually something like 192.168.1.50).
Set the netmask (usually 255.255.255.0)
Make the size of pool equal to 1 or more.
Set the boot file to aqua.bin

(Success. I have made all of these entries based on the IP network address found in the router utility)

The next instructions:

Make sure that no other DHCP server is running on your local network. If you computer is plugged into
a router then it likely has a DHCP server running. Login into your router via your webbrowser to shut
down its DHCP. (All other devices turned off. DHCP server turn off using the router utility accessed through the browser).

Shut off all firewalls/filters on your PC. (See above. Router firewall disabled. Cannot disable firewall on XP machine)

Then restart the AquaController 3 by power cycling.
Press the select button and hold down during the Memory Test, when the display goes blank
release the select button.
Scroll to the update flash entry and press select
You should see several dots appear in the status text box as the firmware is downloaded.
After the download go to the selftest screen of the AquaController. The firmware version should
be 3.40S with a date of 6A09.

(I can scroll to and select the Update Flash option. When I select the display is blank for 30 seconds but I never see any dots)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Will

RussM
07/04/2012, 08:03 PM
Also I can place my XP machine outside of the "NAT firewall" in a "DMZ zone" don't do it

I shut down the DHCP server using the router utility Be sure to turn it back on when done. Actually, you should minimize the time it is turned off. Turn it off just before an attempt, then turn it back on shortly afterwards

I shut down the router firewall using the router utility The instructions say on your PC - not router. Turn it back on

As mentioned above I am unable to shutdown the Windows firewall on my XP device as it is a work computer Reboot in Safe Mode with Networking. See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

MO Will
07/04/2012, 09:03 PM
OK - still trying - and I keep saying "this is my hobby, I am having fun"

I was able to start my XP computer in safe mode with networking

I was able to turn off the Windows firewall

I was able to connect to the internet/router/AC3 successfully

I turned off the DHCP and attempted to update firmware

No success

After this I did notice that I lost internet connectivity and access to the AC3

I rebooted in Safe mode and still had "limited or no connectivity" to the router/wireless network

RussM
07/04/2012, 09:13 PM
Using the other computer, turn the router DCHP server back on, then disconnect the network cable from the XP machine for a few seconds, then reconnect it. Or just reboot the XP box.

AC3Loader should run OK on that Win7 machine. Why do you say it does not?

MO Will
07/04/2012, 09:36 PM
On the Windows 7 box when I launch the ac3loader I get this error message

ac3loader MFC application has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution ...

RussM
07/05/2012, 07:32 AM
On the Windows 7 box when I launch the ac3loader I get this error message

ac3loader MFC application has stopped working
Ah! It's been a while since I tinkered with an AC3. Right-click on ac3loader.exe and select Run As Administrator.

If you can't update from the Win7 box, my only remaining suggestion is to call Neptune.