PDA

View Full Version : Pretty bummed about Petco

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 04:21 PM
:eek1: So we decided to stop at Petco today in search of some feeder guppies... were in the process of switching our lionfish over from live food to frozen... anyway, they didn't have any, but I HAD to snap a pic of their SW tanks. This is only the second time I've ever been in here since they opened around here, and I was just shocked. It didn't look that bad when I was there before! No one was working the fish section, and the only employee I saw in the whole store was a dog groomer; who was running the register up front. Does ours just suck, or is this to be expected from Petco?? Most of their fish from what I noticed, didn't look very good; poor color and most very lethargic :facepalm: I felt so bad!!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/coralreefergal/IMG888.jpg

tdo
07/05/2012, 04:27 PM
Wow that is pretty sad. The two petcos we have in our town are ran a lot better. They are actually clean!

nanshaw2001
07/05/2012, 04:33 PM
Petco doing more damage to the hobby. We had a good guy really trying here in Statesboro.....he was just replaced with someone with no experience......

TX..r33f
07/05/2012, 04:36 PM
petco in my area is clean but i dont think they know how to run the tanks. i never see ich on their fish at the petco here. But they always have green hair algea, red slime algea. Idk does petco use rodi/or water?

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 04:45 PM
Idk does petco use rodi/or water?

No clue... I almost want to apply for a job there JUST so I can get the tanks looking a bit better! lol

Jagarang
07/05/2012, 04:55 PM
My Petco is just OK but most of their fish are under nourished, and they give you Aptasia anemones as a free perk with purchases

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 05:06 PM
My Petco is just OK but most of their fish are under nourished, and they give you Aptasia anemones as a free perk with purchases

:bounce2: YAY! free perks!! haha sorry, I literally laughed out loud when I read that! I'm just glad I have a really good lfs thats not very far away. my lfs is actually cheaper that petco was, for fish and supplies!

MatteZ
07/05/2012, 05:06 PM
My Petco doesn't have a SW section :( just fresh.

jerpa
07/05/2012, 05:11 PM
My Petco doesn't have a SW section :( just fresh.

This is a good thing, trust me.

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 05:12 PM
This is a good thing, trust me.

+1. agreed!

Aquatron
07/05/2012, 05:14 PM
Hello,

It is sad when a large company has more money than cents lol our stores look like the picture too. It's not the workers they don't like it either just doing what they are told. If they treated their dog/cat area like that they would be shut down and people would be in an uproar.........guess water life doesn't matter?

kga943
07/05/2012, 05:25 PM
you need to send that picture to the petco head office

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 05:28 PM
Hello,

It is sad when a large company has more money than cents lol our stores look like the picture too. It's not the workers they don't like it either just doing what they are told. If they treated their dog/cat area like that they would be shut down and people would be in an uproar.........guess water life doesn't matter?

Absolutely agree in regard to if the dog/cat section looked that way!! I just can't really see an employee who actually cared, not taking a few mins to clean the tanks up. From working in retail, I have never had a manager who would say no if I was trying to make the store look nicer. In retail, appearance is everything! :)

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 05:30 PM
you need to send that picture to the petco head office

Any clue where I can find where to send it to? I dont see anything on the petco website... or am I looking right past it haha?

Reef Bass
07/05/2012, 05:38 PM
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc Corporate Office | Headquarters
9125 Rehco Rd. San Diego, CA 92121 (858)453-7845

Ronic
07/05/2012, 05:38 PM
Post it on there facebook page, I work for one of the larger cable companies and if a bad post comes on our page we get in touch with them and try and fix the problem.

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks!! I'll be sure that someone see it!

Dragon moray ki
07/05/2012, 06:03 PM
min isnt great but it isnt nice just average.

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 07:08 PM
lol... live chat wasnt much help. she was very snotty and gave very short responses. They already responded on facebook though; gave me an email to send all information to.

Neptunes World
07/05/2012, 07:26 PM
"Location: Amish Country, PA"

Well, just saying, lol.

James77
07/05/2012, 07:33 PM
Petco doing more damage to the hobby. We had a good guy really trying here in Statesboro.....he was just replaced with someone with no experience......

I have seen LFS with far worse conditions than the conditions at any of my local Petcos. One of my is strictly FW, but the tank are immaculate and fish seem happy as fish can be. One other is also FW, but larger acrylic tanks. The one with SW is also spotless, though very limited in SW fish and inverts.

Compare that to one of my LFS run by a marine biologist. The one with mats of cyano in every SW tank, dying fish every time I stop in for a reminder of my I avoid the place, bleached nems of several varieties, and corroded, rotting tank shelves. Or the other one that sell SPS fargs.....if you can spot them amongst the waving grains of hair algae present in all tanks.

It is a high turnover retail job that cannot afford to pay people that have experience. I would love to work in one, but not at retail wages, especially national chain wages driven by trying to be the lowest price. Petco is a lighting rod because it is a large corporation, but there are worse and better. Let your money speak for you. If your local Petco sucks, let them politely know why- then shop elsewhere until they change. If they don't...oh well, dont patronize them.

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 07:39 PM
"Location: Amish Country, PA"

Well, just saying, lol.

LOL! But the Amish don't run these stores... but I'm glad to live here, since That Fish Place is very local to me; one of the best fish places I've ever been to, and actually hire knowledgeable people! I'll stick with them for my fish purchases for good now... (They're cheaper and better quality than Petco anyway!)

Neptunes World
07/05/2012, 07:53 PM
Oh, your there, thats cool. I am only like 2 hours away, but, every time I go up there, they just have the usual. :(

Man, thats gods country out there. Drive for an hour and see nothing but trees, then, a little dot. Oh, there is "that fish pace". Your so far in the middle of nothing I am surprised they know what a fish is there, lol.

As far as Petco goes, sik-em CoralReeferGal :D

CoralReeferGal
07/05/2012, 08:01 PM
Oh, your there, thats cool. I am only like 2 hours away, but, every time I go up there, they just have the usual. :(

Man, thats gods country out there. Drive for an hour and see nothing but trees, then, a little dot. Oh, there is "that fish pace". Your so far in the middle of nothing I am surprised they know what a fish is there, lol.

As far as Petco goes, sik-em CoralReeferGal :D

Ha ha! :) Except traffic sucks every time we do go to TFP. we have gotten such beautiful fish from there, and everyone I've ever talked to there has been so knowledgeable in anything I've ever asked them. Petco on the other hand... yeah well... lol I already spoke to live chat, submitted a complaint, emailed corporate and posted to their facebook lol... at the very least, i hope these fish get cleaned up and taken care of. Their freshwater tanks look immaculate, but those poor saltwater... :( we were going to buy some feeders for the lionfish, but even if they would have had some, I wouldn't have spent my 15 cents per fish there.

skidoctor
07/05/2012, 08:01 PM
Has anyone ever ordered fish from Petco's website? I've seen that they have a bunch- I mean a bunch of livestock that I would never expect to see at my local Petco. It's not all that bad, and was the only place within reason to buy livestock until a SW specialty store opened in the area. It's not that I don't trust Petco, I just don't trust Petco.

nepenthes99
07/05/2012, 08:26 PM
Our petco is not very clean, but the SW section is not as bad as that. I totally agree, if it is not cute and pettablke nobody seems to give a crap about it.