PDA

View Full Version : Bleached Mag

Big E
07/06/2012, 03:59 AM
My LFS had what I think was a bleached magnifica. This thing was pure white, but it was fully inflated & looked happy.

I couldn't see the foot at all, but should the foot still have color? I'm looking for a way to indentify it for sure.

Has anyone bought or had any success with bleached ones? I was kinda shocked how fully inflated & healthy it looked.

bradleym
07/06/2012, 07:25 AM
Bleaching only affects the internal coloring in most cases, so the base of a bleached anemone almost always keeps it's color.

I would have to suggest avoiding a bleached H. Magnifica though, because those anemones are sensitive enough when they are healthy. Bringing a bleached one back around may prove to be very difficult.

GoTRiCe19
07/09/2012, 11:53 AM
Honestly if the mag is eatting at the lfs after a week and checking up and seeing it eat. I would take that risk to help bring it back. But water and flow and lighting should be right for the nem. I would rather take a risk with a bleach mag then a shipped mag because most don't make the shipping. I would say 75% die from shipping. But I would say 50% to bring back a bleached mag. Just my option.

bradleym
07/09/2012, 12:08 PM
I'd risk up to $75 on a healthy but bleached H. Mag with a red, orange, blue, or yellow foot. Those are SO hard to come by! But otherwise, there are healthier ones to be had, and it may pay off to be patient IMO. That aside, I agree with everything stated above.

D-Nak
07/09/2012, 02:36 PM
Honestly if the mag is eatting at the lfs after a week and checking up and seeing it eat. I would take that risk to help bring it back. But water and flow and lighting should be right for the nem. I would rather take a risk with a bleach mag then a shipped mag because most don't make the shipping. I would say 75% die from shipping. But I would say 50% to bring back a bleached mag. Just my option.

+1. See the exact same thing happening with gigantea -- magnifica and gigs are probably the two hardest anemones to acclimate properly.

Big E
07/10/2012, 03:32 AM
I haven't been up to see it since Thursday....so I'm not sure if it's still there or how much he wanted for it. I'd say $75 would be my limit to take a chance on it. It was about 7" in diameter.

The only other issue I have is I don't want a brown mag..........I have no idea what it's going to color up to be. Would the base maybe give a clue? I assume a red or purple base would be a good start on guessing the tentacles won't be completely brown?

flakey
07/13/2012, 08:56 AM
I think you're better off waiting until the right one comes along. Why risk so much money if you know exactly what you want?

Big E
07/13/2012, 04:43 PM
I think you're better off waiting until the right one comes along. Why risk so much money if you know exactly what you want?

The right one hasn't come along in years, so that's not gonna happen by chance. I could probably order one from a few stores around here, but haven't done that because I wasn't actively looking right now.

It's already shipped to his store & it's 5 min. from my house & I can look at in person. I'm going to stop up this weekend & see if it's still there. I would probably just offer the option of paying for it & letting it recover at his store for just the risk of credit if it dies.

I'm just fact finding right now & wondering how many people have had experience with bleached Mags. I'm really not asking for advice on whether to buy this one..........looking more for personal experiences.

flakey
07/13/2012, 04:48 PM
I think i'm in the same boat as you to be honest. I know what i should do and happy to give advice, but like you i just go and buy it and hope for the best. Its easier said than done lol...
i've had about 3 now and unfortunately they just die slowly. i'm finding it so hard to acclimatise them.

LesMartin
07/14/2012, 07:31 AM
It can be done. I once bought one in a similar condition. You'll have to give it a slooooooooow acclimatisation to light using layers of window screen etc. But as long as it's attached and inflated then you have a good chance. FWIW mine was snow white with yellowish tips initially but once it had regained its colour it was a pale tan. Usually there will be some indication of the column colour even on a badly bleached specimen so if you only see white/off white, chances are it will be tan eventually.

flakey
07/14/2012, 02:18 PM
It can be done. I once bought one in a similar condition. You'll have to give it a slooooooooow acclimatisation to light using layers of window screen etc. But as long as it's attached and inflated then you have a good chance. FWIW mine was snow white with yellowish tips initially but once it had regained its colour it was a pale tan. Usually there will be some indication of the column colour even on a badly bleached specimen so if you only see white/off white, chances are it will be tan eventually.

Hi LesMartin, Thats an interesting point regarding slow light acclimatisation. How long are you talking about? I thought they liked hight lighting and strong flow? Msybe thats where i am going wrong?

LesMartin
07/17/2012, 01:17 PM
Hi LesMartin, Thats an interesting point regarding slow light acclimatisation. How long are you talking about? I thought they liked hight lighting and strong flow? Msybe thats where i am going wrong?

Healthy ones yes but a bleached mag can, in my experience, be very badly affected by typical reef type lighting. I now use a dimmable Powermodule and always dim to 30% or less when introducing new anemones regardless of whether or not they appear fully coloured. I bring the lights up slowly over a period of a month or more depending upon how well the anemone is reacting to the increasing light levels. You can use several layers of window screen to achieve the same effect,removing one periodically and observing how well the anemone reacts.

Big E
08/09/2012, 12:55 PM
I finally made my way up there today & I was amazed that it was still there & hadn't moved at all.

It's darkened up & looks great. The tentacles are light brown with white tips. I looked at the foot & it was lightly bleached, but it has a purple foot.

Now the question is...............

What will the final color be? Is there a common color for purple base Mags? The mouth was a dullish yellow.

It was under LEDs which are crap for gettin good color, so I'm sure it will change under T5's or MH which I can provide either.

Can anyone offer any insight on what color they think it will be? I don't really want it if it's going to keep it's brown body & tentacles.

Please chime in while I'm looking for some purple based Mag pics.

GoTRiCe19
08/10/2012, 03:52 PM
Here is mines under only 18watts led. Eatting silver side. Tonight it will be under kessil 350w.