PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Dosing combined with serial sewage water treatment tanks

aplusbiorc
07/06/2012, 05:05 PM
I am about to try carbon dosing. However problem is carbon dozing promotes the growth of ALL kind of micoorganism and I try to limit it. Some resourse suggest:

When and how you dose may also impact where they grow. For example, dosing very slowly with a dosing pump just upstream from a large rock filled refugium may encourage growth there, where slow dosing the the display, or once daily bolus dosing anywhere might deliver the vinegar through the whole system and encourage visible growth in the display.
I am thinking instead of refugium, to use serial tanks used in sewage water treatment system.(Instead of tank I have buckets and family size drink bottles!)

The photo shows the concept of my idea (only to demonstrate the concept):
http://watertreatmentequipment.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sewage-treatment.jpg

I want to run the water slowly through these buckets in way that most carbon get used up by organisms inside the buckets; Make it easy to remove and wash off. (similar to concept of using Chateo algae)

NOW:
1-what kind media should I use in the buckets (bioballs, sugar size sand or large size sand,..)
2-What should be the water current?
3-Any other suggestions?

I am thinking first tank Large size sand, second bioballs with very slow current!

Thanks

Buzz1329
07/06/2012, 07:44 PM
FWIW, I just dump the vinegar in the refugium section of my sump each day.

aplusbiorc
07/06/2012, 08:01 PM
FWIW, I just dump the vinegar in the refugium section of my sump each day.

Would you mind to tell me where you get the most growth? (inside sump, in Display, skimmer or combination of them)

Thank you

bertoni
07/06/2012, 10:43 PM
I don't know of any way to know where most of the growth from carbon dosing occurs. I'm not sure this type of setup would be worth the effort, since it's hard to know how big to make any of the buckets. It's hard to know whether any would be helpful, for that matter. You'd need some way of measuring the vinegar content of the water to do anything.