PDA

View Full Version : Uv sterilizer

Ca3
07/06/2012, 05:54 PM
My 120 is almost complete just looking for a sterilizer any suggestions on what size?

SeanT
07/06/2012, 06:14 PM
What reason do you wish to implement an UV sterilizer.

billdogg
07/07/2012, 05:18 AM
IMHO, they, in most cases, are a waste of $$$. I have one in a box in the basement where it has been for about 15 years. Just too lazy to throw it out.

Reefmedic79
07/07/2012, 05:35 AM
+1, on a reef tank they are practically useless, they kill off to many of the beneficial organisms.

On a hospital or quarentine tank they can be very helpful though.

Sethjamto
07/07/2012, 09:54 AM
I've been running one on my 29BC since I set it up only because It came with my used setup. Should I remove it? Does it do more harm than good?

billdogg
07/07/2012, 11:17 AM
IMHO, they are not all that harmful - they just don't really add much benefit.

MrTuskfish
07/07/2012, 01:39 PM
UV is a good water clarifer, it kills algae spores. But, many folks expect it to prevent ich, and other parasites, it doesn't. IMO & IME; the cost, constant maintenance, etc. isn't worth it. I'd bet that a high % of those in use aren't doing anything anyhow; because of flow, bulb, and dirty sleeve problems.

want1
07/07/2012, 01:49 PM
i have been keeping a saltwater tank for about 5 years now. So by far I am no expert and I have never done a reef tank. However I have a 250 FOWLR tank and everytime i turn my UV off in the past my fish got sick could just be a right time right place kind of thing However I run my UV all the time and have great luck!

MrTuskfish
07/07/2012, 04:53 PM
i have been keeping a saltwater tank for about 5 years now. So by far I am no expert and I have never done a reef tank. However I have a 250 FOWLR tank and everytime i turn my UV off in the past my fish got sick could just be a right time right place kind of thing However I run my UV all the time and have great luck!

Just curious: what do you mean by "sick"?

want1
07/07/2012, 08:39 PM
i have had ich 4 times every time i moved my fish and tried the QT process like everyone says and then someone suggested try feeding them through it as long as they were eating and have had no trouble since i have also had one fight with fin rot

tmz
07/07/2012, 09:32 PM
I have 4 uv sterilzers on the out of service shelf in my basement. haven't used them in years. They are over hyped for fish disease prevention and treament, imo and experience.

Roadki11
07/08/2012, 01:21 AM
I used my uv when I had a bacteria bloom and the water got all green and cloudy. Running the uv for 2 days cleared it all up, although using better water would have prevented it from starting in the first place. I'll turn it on for a few hours a day just to be safe now.

Just my 2 cents.

ken55
07/08/2012, 08:39 AM
I used one on my first salt tank. I'm not sure if I got any benefit from it. I bought it after reading a magazine article about how great they were. Everything that could have been a benefit can also be explained away by another factor. My water was clear but I also ran carbon. I didn't have algea problems but I didn't have a phosphate problem either. My fish didn't get sick but mayby they weren't sick to begin with. Who knows? I don't.

I left it off when I upgraded to the new tank. I haven't noticed any difference. Mayby it did give some benefits or mayby it didn't. Mine (like the others) now sits in a box in the garage.

fishgate
07/08/2012, 08:39 AM
I'd get a 15 watt at least. They are effective more so for water clarity and algae control but also to a certain extent disease control. There is no more maintenance on them than any other filter, actually less. The one I have you can even change the bulb without turning off the pump or disconnecting anything. Bulbs should be changed annually at least. I run mine on during the day with the light and at night it cycles off (bulb only turns off, water continues to flow through the unit). Check replacement bulb availability and pricing first before making the decision on which one to get.

FYI: Most require a separate powerhead/pump to flow water through them.

ken55
07/08/2012, 08:56 AM
FYI: Most require a separate powerhead/pump to flow water through them.

This is correct. Also, in theory anyway, the slower the water passes through the more 'contact' time it has with the light. You'll want a small pump if you decide to use one.

Good Luck, whichever way you decide.

reef4life07
07/08/2012, 02:36 PM
I also have a uv that I don't use, I know people who have reef tanks that don't bother with it, and people who have fish only that do use it...Just save your money, as long as you keep on maintaining your tank, and equipment you'll be fine.