PDA

View Full Version : Questions About And Help Sizing Proper Reeflo Pump for Large Tank

AcroporAddict
07/06/2012, 11:14 PM
Just got my dream tank. 465 gallons. 96" x 40" x 28". External overflow with two 2" bulks for overflow, and two 1.5" bulks for return. Sump is 60" x 30" x 20" (about 155 gallons, figure 1/2 full of water. I may or may not plumb in a 90 gallon frag tank and a 34 gallon refugium. Seems like Reeflos are the way to go for energy efficient water return. In-tank circulation outside of regular return will be via Vortech MP60 and 40.

Can someone make a recommendation for return pump in the Reeflo Series? I am a bit confused. You have the Dart/Snapper Hybrid, the Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid, and also the Super Dart Gold, Hammerhead Gold, and Barracuda Gold. Only a $50 price difference between any of the gold models. What is the difference between them outside of the 3 vs 5 year warranty? Help! I have only used Pan World pumps for return on my 300 gallon DD Tank, and have no experience with Reeflos. I want to buy right the first time.

ghostman
07/06/2012, 11:52 PM
I have the dart/snapper hybrid on a 240 cube (just about half your size), and I think it's just right for flow. I would recommend bigger lime the hammerhead/barracuda hybrid, but the sump may have water rushing through it, and not being skimmed, or filtered in any way. Not much help on what the gold series offers, but I can attest that they are quiet, strong, and great performers. A wise choice.

aldiaz33
07/09/2012, 01:25 PM
I think the first step would be determining how much water you want flowing through your sump. Determine what your head height is and you can determine what pump is able to achieve your desired GPH at the given head height. Since pumps are running 24/7 and if you plan to have the tank setup for some time, the Gold Line of pumps will almost always be a better long term investment.

Englishmatt
07/09/2012, 02:09 PM
I have about 270G in my system. I have the Reeflo Barra/Hammer hybrid. I chose the Gold Series.

Reasons behind my choice were simple:

1.) My sump is in my fishroom which is about 40ft horizontal and 20ft vertically lower than my DT (fishroom in basement, DT in living room) so I needed an external pump with plenty of muscle.

2.) I didn't want a return pump that would be working as hard as possible with little to no scalability as I add various devices, tanks into the environment.

Status so far - I have my the Barra impeller installed to give about 4,500 GPH with low energy use. I'm providing flow to my 150G DT, 40G QT, 40G fuge, 30G, BP reactor, UV and soon to be CA Reactor.

The feeds to the QT and fuge are barely cracked open at all. The feed to the DT is less than half open and the flow is outstanding (I use two MP40s for the recirc/random flow).

The pump is very quiet and very enery efficient.

The fact that if I want to add another 200G system, the pump can handle it, make me very happy with my purchase. Oh...and I still have the hammer impeller to increase the output to 6,000gph if I really want to.

Great pump.

Matt.

Englishmatt
07/09/2012, 02:22 PM
I think the first step would be determining how much water you want flowing through your sump. Determine what your head height is and you can determine what pump is able to achieve your desired GPH at the given head height. Since pumps are running 24/7 and if you plan to have the tank setup for some time, the Gold Line of pumps will almost always be a better long term investment.

The flow to the sump will be dictated by how much his drain(s) can handle in combination with the return pump flow rate. If each drain from the DT is max 1200GPH...all he can send into the tank and then the sump is 2400GPH (from the DT environment).

The sump may be able to handle plenty more than 2400GPH, especially since it's 5ft long and 155 gallons.

Then start adding addition systems (fuge, Frag, staging, etc...) and simply do the math on the drains. Simple ball valves will do the trick to keep everything in line.

I can't imagine he'll over work the sump...but who knows.

Matt.

aldiaz33
07/09/2012, 11:21 PM
The flow to the sump will be dictated by how much his drain(s) can handle in combination with the return pump flow rate. If each drain from the DT is max 1200GPH...all he can send into the tank and then the sump is 2400GPH (from the DT environment).

The sump may be able to handle plenty more than 2400GPH, especially since it's 5ft long and 155 gallons.

Then start adding addition systems (fuge, Frag, staging, etc...) and simply do the math on the drains. Simple ball valves will do the trick to keep everything in line.

I can't imagine he'll over work the sump...but who knows.

Matt.

Good point. Drain size will determine maximim flow. Since he has two 2" drains, according to the drain calculator on this site, he should be able to push ~4,700 GPH total through them. I would probably run a little less just to make sure you don't run the risk of overwhelming your drains.

I ran ~4,500GPH through my 6'x2'x20" (150G) sump and it looked like a mini river.

farmer
07/26/2012, 10:44 PM
I would just give them a call at 877-378-6798. They can advise you on your best option. I run a reeflo Hammerhead hybred and will never buy another brand. Great product's and great customer service!

cmclean06
10/22/2012, 12:43 AM
accroporaddict, did you plumb in that frag tank, i'm doing the same as well. CM