PDA

View Full Version : Connecting MH ballast to reflector

tgr26
07/07/2012, 03:15 PM
Alright, so I'm a newbie on metal halides and definitely not an electrician. I purchased a Hamilton light reflector and lumatek ballast for a tank upgrade I'm working on. My question is: how do I connect the two?

The ballast came with an "unwired" cord that I believe needs to be wired into the reflector.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/bryannagy/26364af6.jpg

However, the reflector came with a cord installed, but it doesn't match the plug for the ballast.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/bryannagy/66c1ade0.jpg

Do I need to unscrew the reflector and wire the cord from the ballast into it?

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/bryannagy/1e79ceac.jpg

It also has three wires- a green, a black, and a white. The green one has a circular metal end. What do I do with this one?

Also, the reflector comes with LEDs that run on a separate cord. However, it doesn't come with a cord. It this something I can buy at home depot?

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/bryannagy/82b20d3b.jpg

Please keep mind I have no knowledge of wiring so your patience is appreciated!

alton
07/07/2012, 03:50 PM
I would contact the store you bought them from. If you cut the cords to splice it will void your warranty

evsalty
07/07/2012, 04:08 PM
Is that a 150w Cayman sun or a 250w? My 250w Cayman Sun had the same ballast connector as does the Lumatek in your pic. When I bought my Lumatek I was able to plug it right up to my Cayman Sun without issue.

That LED cord should have a large black wall wart type plug that that cord plugs into.

Did you buy this used? If so someone changed the cord and also did not send you the wall-wart for the led's.

You can easily change the halide cord as it looks like someone has already done. The marks on the cord between the ziptie and the bulkhead on the reflector are the teeth marks from that bulkhead so that cord has been moved if nothing else.

Anyways if you just want to swap the cords it is very easy to do. Remove the glass and bulb then remove every screw that is left. Work the reflector out of the housing to expose the wires below. Connect the two black wires from the extra cord (probably the origional cord lol) to the two white wires inside the housing. These two white wires should each be connected to one of the ceramic pices for the bulb. Connect the green to the same screw that your removed to remove the other cords green wire from. Now just put it all back together.

The walwart for the LEDs you will have to order from Hamilton or splice in a new walwart.

tgr26
07/07/2012, 04:17 PM
Is that a 150w Cayman sun or a 250w? My 250w Cayman Sun had the same ballast connector as does the Lumatek in your pic. When I bought my Lumatek I was able to plug it right up to my Cayman Sun without issue.

That LED cord should have a large black wall wart type plug that that cord plugs into.

Did you buy this used? If so someone changed the cord and also did not send you the wall-wart for the led's.

You can easily change the halide cord as it looks like someone has already done. The marks on the cord between the ziptie and the bulkhead on the reflector are the teeth marks from that bulkhead so that cord has been moved if nothing else.

Anyways if you just want to swap the cords it is very easy to do. Remove the glass and bulb then remove every screw that is left. Work the reflector out of the housing to expose the wires below. Connect the two black wires from the extra cord (probably the origional cord lol) to the two white wires inside the housing. These two white wires should each be connected to one of the ceramic pices for the bulb. Connect the green to the same screw that your removed to remove the other cords green wire from. Now just put it all back together.

The walwart for the LEDs you will have to order from Hamilton or splice in a new walwart.

Thanks. It's the 250w. I just purchased both off of Marine Depot so it should have been new unless it was a return.

evsalty
07/08/2012, 11:31 AM
It may very well be a return then because someone at some point clearly hase been inside that fixture. The cable has been moved/pulled out of the fixture a bit. The missing wall plug for the leds too says this setup was opened at some point.

Heck I had my Cayman for almost a year before I even found out that that cord and the wall plug were able to be seperated.

And that is not the factory supplied halide ballast cord anyways.