PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with DIY Refugium and phosphate reactor.

jcurella
07/07/2012, 09:54 PM
Need advice with DIY Refugium and phosphate reactor.
DT is 75g, and refugium is 20g.

This is my basic DIY Refugium. I started it about 2 years ago, and recently remodeled it. The newest version consist of 3 chambers. 1st is for intake and protein skimmer. 2nd is for micro algae, 3rd is for return to DT. In the currant version I have 1st partition for skimmer set to overflow into 2nd chamber, so that none of the pods can backtrack into the skimmer chamber. 2nd chamber consist of micro algae. Partition between 2nd and 3rd chamber is a slotted/under gravel panel siliconed vertically that lets the water flow straight into the 3rd chamber without any levy or dam effects. I did this simply to keep heavy debris (i.e. micro algae) from making their way into the return chamber. 3rd chamber is a return with a 650 gph pump connected to an under gravel panel with a ball valve that returns water to the second chamber to regulate overflow ratio in DT (note under gravel filter is only in 3rd chamber and does not violate previous chambers.) I've heard that using an underground filter in marine tanks is bad, but I thought it was a good idea for the return pump to keep it from getting clogged, and keeping large particles from making their way into the return pump.. Both 2nd and 3rd chamber have crushed coral as substrate. I chose this as my main substrate because I have noticed that pods flourish very well in this substrate (a personnel observation.)
Ok... this is where the question's begin.

1) I'm thinking about floating several critter containers in the central micro partition to house the different plants, so that they will not smother each other. i.e a separate container's for Caulerpa,Chaetomorpha, ect.. would this be a good idea?

2) my local LFS recommended that I connect the pipe on the return valve (going to the second chamber) to a phosphate reactor instead of letting it flow back into the second chamber. My only concern is that this would reduce my phosphate level to zero, which I have heard mixed ideas of.

3) I did not learn about micro bubble buffers until after I re-did this refugium, so they are not present...But, I do not seem to have a micro bubble problem in the DT ( I think this is due to using a under gravel filter for the return.)
My pics are not the best, but I will post them to give you an idea.

So in short:
1) should I separate my micro algae to keep it from smothering each other.
2) Would a phosphate reactor add a significant advantage to this system?
3) do I need to worry about micro bubbles even if they are not present in the DT?

I really don't want to drain this refugium, re-silicon, re-plumb, and redesign it, if I don't have too. Any mods or advice that does not consist of draining,curing, and major time would be really appreciated.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/jcurella/IMG_0773.jpg