PDA

View Full Version : my DIY overflow box

sweeper7
07/08/2012, 12:45 PM
So after countless hours of failing to find an overflow box that can work for a herbie system I have decided to save $99 on paying for a 1500gph overflow box and make one myself for probably less than $20.

1) How can I calculate how long and deep and wide my overflow box needs to be for GPH purposes??

2) How do I attach the bottom portion of this? Can I just use silicone?
3) How to cut teeth for this?
4) How can I cut 2 holes for the bulkheads? what type of drill do i need for my bulkhead holes?

jimmyj7090
07/08/2012, 05:03 PM
Are you asking about installing an overflow box in a tank, or a HOB overflow?

sweeper7
07/08/2012, 08:56 PM
No, I am talking about MAKING an overflow box for a herbie system instead of ordering a 700gph kit from glass-holes that has only 1 drain since i need 2 drains.

CanadaChop
08/20/2012, 11:54 PM
Have you come up with something yet? Im going to DIY my overflow as well. I think im going to direct copy the glass holes kit but my overflow will be a PVC T with caps at both ends and a bunch of holes drilled towards the top of the T. You can use a cordless drill and diamond hole saw you can get off Ebay or maybe at a glass shop. Let me know what you have done as I am likly do copy it and tell people it was my idea. ;)

RobinsonFam1
08/21/2012, 06:54 AM
go to home page. there is a calculator that helps figure out how much overflow you need.

acrylic needs to be bonded with a solvent based adhesive. the easiest one to find and usae id weld-on.

silicone is a guaranteed fail in this situation

sweeper7
08/21/2012, 08:29 PM
Sorry for hte lack of update this project has been a jhandful.

I made the box but very dissapionted in 2 aspects, 1)A small portion of the paint is "slightly" chipping away where the glue is, apparently didnt stick well to it 2) I can't get the inner 90 deg elbow to screw into the bulkhead bc there isn't enough space so I am stuck here 3) The corners are all white as the paint didn't reach where the weld on bonds the sides together to make a square so its a nice black all around except for the sides so it looks as if I gave this thing aborder which i am not happy with.

Anyone know where I can order one cheap?

RobinsonFam1
08/22/2012, 07:19 AM
EBay is cheapest.